Planet Earth Stagger... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-05-2007, 06:36 PM

Default Planet Earth Stagger...

I've had a quick search of this forum and didn't find anything related to this.

Anyway, I've got an A-2 attached to a Sharp LC42C64 TV, and it used to be attached to a Panasonic TH42X60U.

When viewing Planet Earth, the long range panaoramic shots seem to stutter. For example the scene of the thunderstorm building as the image circles the cloud the image moves freely, then pauses for the slightest time (no-one else notices it) then continues and keeps doing this. I'm not pointing it out to the people watching it as it can then become a distraction.

Is anyone else seeing this? Is it an issue with the A-2? Does the XA2 or A35 etc. have it? Is it an example of the slightly lower bit rate output of HD DVD? I thought it might have been the display but that one I have answered.

I don't want to post this in the smackdown but would be interested to hear if the Blu version has this issue.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:42 PM

Actually, the Blu-ra and HD DVD versions are identical, same bitrates, same encodes. I have not heard of anyone have this problem before.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:48 PM

Could it be a firmware issue? Have you upgraded to 2.5 if the player doesn't have it already?

Or perhaps it's just a dud disk...
Old 11-05-2007, 06:56 PM

Sounds like a standard 3:2 pulldown stutter. A very subtle and continuous stutter that's mostly noticeable during panning shots. That's the result of the 24 fps source having to be displayed on a 60 fps screen. The only thing you can do about it is getting both a player and a display that support 24 fps playback, but that's a hefty price for solving such a small problem...
Old 11-05-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil N View Post
Sounds like a standard 3:2 pulldown stutter. A very subtle and continuous stutter that's mostly noticeable during panning shots. That's the result of the 24 fps source having to be displayed on a 60 fps screen. The only thing you can do about it is getting both a player and a display that support 24 fps playback, but that's a hefty price for solving such a small problem...
Or at least a new display. Some displays can do a reverse telecine on 1080i60/1080p30 and revert it back to the original 1080p24.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:18 PM

Wow, fastest set of responses I've ever had on an internet forum.

I've not updated the firmware, I tried with the internet download, burn onto CD and tried to load it on to the player and had no joy. I've not had any problems with the player yet, so I'm not desperate to get the firmware updated.

I think the 24fps sounds like the issue, so I guess I'll live with it until I decide to get an A35. I'll have to see whether the TV displays 24fps, it is a brand new model, so hopefully they had this in mind when making it.

I'm kind of surprised that it was shot in 24, as they were using HD cameras and it was filmed for TV. Oh well I guess you learn something new each day.

Any ideas on how I can update the firmware through burning CD's on the computer? My only interent connection is in a different room to the TV set up and the issues in getting the HD player into and out of my set-up are not worth the effort.

Thanks for all suggestions.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:29 PM

One of the things that helped lessen the stutter for me was to make sure that the Picture Mode within the player setup menu was set to Film rather than Automatic, and then make sure your TV has its 3:2 pulldown turned on.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Macintosh View Post
Any ideas on how I can update the firmware through burning CD's on the computer? My only interent connection is in a different room to the TV set up and the issues in getting the HD player into and out of my set-up are not worth the effort.
The file you are downloading is an ISO. You can't simply burn the ISO to a disc as a data file, you need to have your burning software OPEN the ISO file, which will then create the data structure necessary to burn.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:05 PM

Excellent, thank you.

I will try both tonight.