When will we see a price drop on the HD-A35? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-05-2007, 05:11 PM

Default When will we see a price drop on the HD-A35?

I'm wondering, with the $98.00 price tag at Wal-Mart and other stores on the A2, can we possibly expect a good price on the Toshiba HD-A35 this holiday season? I picked up an A2 for the bedroom but really am wanting to upgrade from the 360 add-on to the A35. Right now the $385 price point at Amazon (the lowest price I have seen on it so far) is a bit too high for me.

Anyone think we will see price drops on the better equipped models from Toshiba in the near future?

{sorry, I posted this in the wrong forum, this should be in the HD hardware section}
Old 11-05-2007, 06:10 PM

I honestly don't think so. While the other side likes to batter Toshiba for "subsidizing" HD DVD players, Toshiba actually has a pretty consistent model/pricing strategy of "Good/Better/Best". At "normal" retail pricing, the A3 is probably very low profit margin, the A30 a decent profit margin, and the A35 the best profit margin, help push the overall HD DVD product line into profitability.

Sure, as the product cycle becomes more mature, there will be some price drops, but I doubt for the A35 not under $350 well into next year. I beleive my own line of thought - I pulled the trigger and bought an A35 when it dropped down to $389 a week and a half ago, and am very pleased.

And yes, Mods - please move to Hardware forums.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:17 PM

I paid 450 for mine and compared to the 6oo I paid for my BD panny its a steal, honestly the hd-a35 is future proof has about every feature you'll ever need, I highly recommend it, especially after hearing hd dts master of brotherhood of the wolf (import).
And after tons of compatability issues with my blu ray its nice to have a definitive player........
Old 11-05-2007, 06:26 PM

I might just pull the trigger on this. I will be building a home theater next spring with a 161 inch screen and want a top of the line hd-dvd player. I figure the PS3 will be top dog of the BD players for a while so I'm good there.

thanks for the input. I might even hold out for the 4th gen players if they would be out next spring or early summer.