Lust, Caution HD DVD anticipation... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-05-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Lust, Caution HD DVD anticipation...

I imagine Lust, Caution (Focus releasing) will be released on HD DVD early next year. I have yet to see the film, but it looks incredible....HD would serve it well.

Makes me want Wong Kar-Wai's films on HD ASAP!
Old 11-05-2007, 05:45 PM

Talking about wong kar wai. In the mood for love and 2046 screams for HD. Who got those rights? I believe distribution on most wong kar wai titles in Europe belongs to studio canal?

2046 owns by sony in US. Hd dvd is region free so that won't be a problem.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:18 PM

Criterion released In the Mood for Love in the US, Sony released 2046 in the US (Mei Ah in Japan).

Kino distributes Fallen Angels, Happy Together, Days of Being Wild, and As Tears Go By. Mirimax has Chungking Express.

Back on the topic of Ang Lee's latest film, I saw it a few weeks ago -- absolutely fantastic. It won't have the "HD pop" of many high-contrast crunched films, it's a softer, beautiful film.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24fps View Post
I imagine Lust, Caution (Focus releasing) will be released on HD DVD early next year. I have yet to see the film, but it looks incredible....HD would serve it well.

Makes me want Wong Kar-Wai's films on HD ASAP!
Somehow I highly doubt that Lust, Caution will be a day-and-date hi-def release.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
Somehow I highly doubt that Lust, Caution will be a day-and-date hi-def release.
Don't be so sure.....Eastern Promises is a Focus release, and it's day-and-date.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:30 AM

criterion released "in the mood for love" on sd dvd in the u.s., but the actual american rights belong to usa films...which is now focus features, an affiliate of nbc universal. universal could issue a bare-bones hd dvd ala "spartacus" (also released by criterion on sd dvd).
Old 11-06-2007, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24fps View Post
Don't be so sure.....Eastern Promises is a Focus release, and it's day-and-date.
In my opinion, that's a horrible example. Just because it is the same production company doesn't ensure anything. Eastern Promises received a wide theatrical release, is in the English language (with a few exceptions), and has two actors that are very recognizable to most consumers. Lust, Caution carries an NC-17 rating and thus has a limited theatrical run, and is in a foreign language. The prospects for profits for home video sales of these two films could not be more disparate. You have to look a bit deeper than the surface fact that they share a common distributor.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:43 AM

^ On the other hand, Black Book and The Lives of Others were D&D on Blu-ray, and fit the limited run/foreign language criteria.

Unfortunately, Taiwan is not submitting L,C for consideration in the Foreign Language Film Oscar category. I wouldn't be surprised to see the film get a Cinematography nod, though.

With the amount of effort Universal is putting into HD DVD releases, I do hope we see day & date for this one.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:20 PM

Most of Wong Kar Wai's catalogue is owned by Tartan in the UK, 'In The Mood For Love' and '2046' for sure. I believe that 'Chunking Express' and 'Happy Together' are owned by a company called Artificial Eye who are not yet releasing in hi-def and have not spoken of any plans to.

'Fallen Angels' doesn't even seem to have received a DVD release here either. For shame!
Old 11-06-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
Unfortunately, Taiwan is not submitting L,C for consideration in the Foreign Language Film Oscar category. I wouldn't be surprised to see the film get a Cinematography nod, though.
most reviews are in the negative to lukewarm part of the spectrum, so why would taiwan submit a movie with slim chances of getting a nomination?

then again, year after year, the jokers in taiwan's nominating committee keep submitting movies that are really inaccessible by AMPAS members.