'Hairspray' & 'In the Land of Women' On HD DVD December - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-05-2007, 04:42 AM

Default 'Hairspray' & 'In the Land of Women' On HD DVD December

'Hairspray' & 'In the Land of Women' On HD DVD in Italy...

Quote:
According to reports and retailer information, it seems that Hairspray (2007) and In the Land of Women (2007) is now scheduled for an Italian HD DVD release.

Hairspray (2007) will be available to own in high-definition on HD DVD, come December 12. Early details are pretty sketchy but I believe we can expect an English audio track on the disc.

Another film, Il bacio che aspettavo/In the Land of Women (2007), starring Adam Brody, Kristen Stewart, Meg Ryan and Olympia Dukakis, will also be available to own in high-definition on HD DVD in Italy starting December 5. Early details are pretty sketchy but I believe we can expect an English audio track on the disc.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:31 AM

Kind of puts this whole New Line region coding excuse into question. So they are not allowed but others can? Its their movie. Their sister Warner Bros. has no problems releasing titles with lack of region coding before the end of its worldwide theatrical run.

Last edited by timbobarry; 11-05-2007 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:39 PM

lol. That's odd.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbobarry View Post
Kind of puts this whole New Line region coding excuse into question. So they are not allowed but others can? Its their movie. Their sister Warner Bros. has no problems releasing titles with lack of region coding before the end of its worldwide theatrical run.
It's not that they aren't allowed. They made their decision as a courtesy to their overseas distributors. New Line felt that they would be stepping on some toes if they released an HD DVD in America for a film that is either currently playing or opening soon in European/Middle Eastern/Asian (etc.) theaters - attracting people over there to import the HD DVD from the U.S. instead of paying to see it in the theater.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:14 PM

Well that was worth making all that noise in the first place wasn't it, New Line?
Old 11-05-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoq View Post
It's not that they aren't allowed. They made their decision as a courtesy to their overseas distributors. New Line felt that they would be stepping on some toes if they released an HD DVD in America for a film that is either currently playing or opening soon in European/Middle Eastern/Asian (etc.) theaters - attracting people over there to import the HD DVD from the U.S. instead of paying to see it in the theater.
Yes, this was understood but it's ultimately futile. Why not import the DVD and use one of millions of region free dvd players available in Europe? I've said it before and I'll say it again, region coding just doesn't work!
Old 11-06-2007, 04:06 AM

Plus it comes out in the UK a DAY before the US release on Blu-ray. So from Day one 2/3rds of the regions are covered anyway (A and B). (And thats assuming EiV in the UK doesn't release it region free - some of their other UK Blu releases have been).

I also doubt any of the "valued production partners" New Line hint at are from region C countries - seriously look up what region C covers (but are from region B). So it would appear holding back on the US HD DVD release didn't save the revenue stream of any of their "valued production partners".
Old 11-06-2007, 08:10 AM

i liked, In the Land Of Women
will be a definite import
Old 11-06-2007, 03:30 PM

I saw In The Land Of Women the other day and the only thing I got out of the film was Meg Ryan needs a new agent because I havent seen her in a decent movie in a very long time