Any Hitchcock fans out there? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-03-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Any Hitchcock fans out there?

I was just thinking yesterday about all the classic Alfred Hitchcock films that Universal has the rights to and has released on standard DVD. I wonder how long it's gonna take for Universal to give those same great titles on HD-DVD?

Also, as long as Warner Home Video stays around, they should give us the classics they have the rights to, as well, don't ya think?

CC
Old 11-03-2007, 07:15 PM

A DREAM COME TRUE!!!! (to see Hitch on HD)

The sad thing is that when Universal finally gets around to it (when, oh, when??), we'll probably only see Psycho and maybe Vertigo. It would be great to get them all.

Then there's Warner's holdings. They've said that North by Northwest isn't coming until the 50th anniversary resto is done (2009).
Old 11-03-2007, 07:23 PM

Yeah, I would think that the Hitchcock films that Universal owns would be a great benefit for their company.

Both Universal and Warner put out great box sets of Hitchcock's films, so hopefully we'll see some of them on HD-DVD within the next year, or so.

That's too bad about North By Northwest, though. I hadn't heard that, yet. It's terrible having to wait, obviously, but surely the restoration will be well worth it.

CC
Old 11-04-2007, 02:59 AM

I would expect them next year. A bunch of Hitchcocks are airing on HDNet Movies next month.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:12 AM

They're re-making The Birds with Naomi Watts in it so we'll get that one for sure....ha ha
Old 11-04-2007, 06:41 AM

Also, Criterion own the rights to some, so when they go HD we'll get some belters from them!
Old 11-04-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroadley View Post
Also, Criterion own the rights to some, so when they go HD we'll get some belters from them!
It would be unrealistic of me to expect an HD DVD of Notorious or Suspicion or even The 39 Steps with the same level of quality as Warner's Casablanca remaster, but I can always dream.

Not sure if Criterion still has the license to release these titles, however.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Criterion currently only holds the rights to The Lady Vanishes (remastered DVD edition coming out this month) and The 39 Steps. The other titles that they've released -- Notorious, Spellbound, and Rebecca -- are out of print due to rights issues.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefBear View Post
It would be unrealistic of me to expect an HD DVD of Notorious or Suspicion or even The 39 Steps with the same level of quality as Warner's Casablanca remaster, but I can always dream.

Not sure if Criterion still has the license to release these titles, however.
Criterion's licenses to Notorious and Spellbound have expired, and both discs are OOP. I believe the rights have reverted to Disney.

They still have The 39 Steps, which was licensed from the British rights owner, Rank (now Carlton / ITV). In the US it's widely - probably erroneously - regarded as a public domain title.

Fox owns Lifeboat.

Most of the other American Hitchcock films are owned by Warner.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:01 PM

We really should be emailing Criterion asking for HD DVD releases of the titles they own....