K-Mart is indeed "effectively" still HD DVD exclusive - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-02-2007, 06:02 PM

Default K-Mart is indeed "effectively" still HD DVD exclusive

Despite their official statement that they are not taking sides, and that they are still selling the PS3 - apparently they are choosing to currently only sell HD DVD stand-alones due to the value factor:

Quote:
I spoke with the company this morning for clarification: The company has decided to push HD DVD players this holiday shopping season, but will continue to sell Sony's PS3 with a Blu-ray player inside. As far as offering a standalone Blu-ray player on Kmart store shelves? Nope. At least not yet. If/when prices for Blu-ray come down Kmart may offer a standalone unit. But Kmart, the company tells me, is looking for value for its customers and right now, that means HD DVD.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/21598441

The full article is actually worth reading since it touches on a number of topics and is kind of funny how he is bombarded with Blu hate mail.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:11 PM

Yeah, my wife is a manager at one of the stores. They need to get in gear though if they really want to push the players. Currently, the stores have WAY more BD discs than HDDVD, IF they even got any HDDVD discs in at all.

My wifes store has 15-20 BD titles, and Transformers only, on HDDVD. Before they got Transformers, they actually had to go to Best Buy to get a movie to demo the player (they can't really show 300 or Bourne in store)
Old 11-02-2007, 06:23 PM

^yeah that really annoys me. Why so many Blu Ray? HD DVD has a similar if not bigger range of movies.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadeZ View Post
^yeah that really annoys me. Why so many Blu Ray? HD DVD has a similar if not bigger range of movies.
I have both formats, but if I had to choose only one it would be HD DVD. I'm happy there is a big jump in the format.