'James Taylor: MusiCares Tribute' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-02-2007, 12:46 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'James Taylor: MusiCares Tribute' - High-Def Digest Review

A lack of supplements drags down the overall grade for this one, but Kenneth says 'James Taylor: A MusiCares Person of the Year Tribute' certainly looks and sounds great in its HD DVD debut.

Full review here:
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/taylo...musicares.html
Old 11-02-2007, 02:28 PM

glad they reviewed this title. now where is "Room With A View" review? It's been out for a while now.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:46 PM

My mom might like this.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:25 AM

My wife is a big time JT fan (no...not Timberlake). If I got this concert, maybe she will finally come downstairs to witness the awsomeness of hd dvd!! WHAT AM I SAYING!!!! She would start influencing my hi def movie purchases and start whinning about the pizza boxes and beer cans!!!! Bad idea.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:40 AM

I'm happy to own it.

My favorites are of course when JT sings 'Fire and Rain', Dixie Chicks sing 'Shower the People', and CKing sings 'You've got a friend'.

There is not an abundance of music hd-dvds' out there so this one is good to recommend if that is your thing.

Also Jimi Hendrix is coming/has come to hd-dvd internationally for those that didn't know, look for it.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:12 AM

The review states that the audio is 5.1 Dolby Digital. However far from being DD+, is it DTS-HD Master Audio.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
The review states that the audio is 5.1 Dolby Digital. However far from being DD+, is it DTS-HD Master Audio.
The menu option indicates Dolby 5.1 but my equipment indicates it is in fact DTS-HD MA. If I use the audio button to cycle through audio options, I only get 2.0 LPCM and DTS-HD MA 5.1. The Eagles "Farewell Tour 1: Live From Melbourne" is also DTS-HD MA despite no indication on the case or disc.

This is a good concert disc and if you like these artist tributes and Taylor's music, it is worth seeking out. I don't know how difficult it is to find now but it was easy and affordable years ago when I picked it up.

Chris
Old 04-18-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris gerhard View Post
The menu option indicates Dolby 5.1 but my equipment indicates it is in fact DTS-HD MA. If I use the audio button to cycle through audio options, I only get 2.0 LPCM and DTS-HD MA 5.1. The Eagles "Farewell Tour 1: Live From Melbourne" is also DTS-HD MA despite no indication on the case or disc.

This is a good concert disc and if you like these artist tributes and Taylor's music, it is worth seeking out. I don't know how difficult it is to find now but it was easy and affordable years ago when I picked it up.

Chris
Yeah all 3 Rhino HD DVD titles are master audio, The Eagles that you mentioned, as well as Cream: Live at Royal Albert Hall. None of the 3 mention master audio on the case or in the reviews.

I haven't watched this yet, and I do like most of the artists on the disc.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:42 PM

I don't believe that I have ever seen a review of one of these three discs where the reviewer at the time had the ability to play DTS-HD MA and therefore had no way to know this fact. We covered this in the review of the Eagles disc thread, before players were updated to handle DTS-HD MA, no indication of the fact was available to the reviewer. It was a rather strange situation and in light of the fact none of the three discs indicate DTS-HD MA makes me believe that was deliberate, three mistakes in a row seems rather unlikely to me. I don't know why it was deliberate but I believe it was.

Chris
Old 04-18-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris gerhard View Post
I don't believe that I have ever seen a review of one of these three discs where the reviewer at the time had the ability to play DTS-HD MA and therefore had no way to know this fact. We covered this in the review of the Eagles disc thread, before players were updated to handle DTS-HD MA, no indication of the fact was available to the reviewer. It was a rather strange situation and in light of the fact none of the three discs indicate DTS-HD MA makes me believe that was deliberate, three mistakes in a row seems rather unlikely to me. I don't know why it was deliberate but I believe it was.

Chris
Why would they deliberately understate the audio specs on the case? They were all released at the same time so it was obviously just one printing error spread across all three titles. A few of the Surround Records titles are mislabeled DTS-HD as well, and they are in fact master audio, as well as an import or two I can't recall right now, so it's not that uncommon a mistake.