'Full Metal Jacket: Deluxe Edition' - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-01-2007, 02:07 AM
HDD Founder

Default 'Full Metal Jacket: Deluxe Edition' - High-Def Digest review

Just posted Peter's review of 'Full Metal Jacket: Deluxe Edition.' Offering up a remastered video transfer, a TrueHD track and the flick's first-ever supplemental package, Peter says this new HD DVD release is a marked improvement over the dismal 2006 high-def release. Alas, even in upgraded form, he says this one can't compete with the best high-def catalog releases.

Full review here:
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/1032/...jacket_de.html
Old 11-01-2007, 03:52 AM

From the review -

Quote:
I've before that there seem to be two different kinds of war movies ...
Missing a word there perhaps?

I'm thinking said ...

Old 11-01-2007, 04:17 AM

Not that big into the genre. Will be a rent. Glad to see Warner go back and remaster titles though (sorry for those who have to double dip). It would make more sense to do it from the start instead of rushing out titles. I know the HD format is new, but we've been through this so many times with DVD
Old 11-01-2007, 04:57 AM

Yeah, I believe this is the first high def double-dip. Hopefully a trend is not starting...
Oh, and before anyone corrects me, I don't count the Fifth Element as a double dip, because the company set up a disc replacement program, so that was more like fixing discs that were defective rather than trying to sell you an new improved version of something you already own.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:31 AM

Anyone buy this who already had the previous version think its worth the upgrade (as in replacing)?
Old 11-01-2007, 07:42 AM

Thankfully I never bought the previous version due to bad reviews and word of mouth. I love this film and am really looking forward to seeing in HD. timbobarry, I would definately pick up the new remastered edition. I've heard way too many bad negative things about the old one. Only good on this one.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:16 PM

Too bad the newer version won't be the one they ship with the 5free promotion.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:04 PM

Will rent it to see the difference..if its worth an upgrade.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:49 AM

I owned the first version and traded it for spidey 3. Has anyone out there purchased both versions? I love FMJ but want to know if there is a significant improvement over the first BD release. I'll probably just re-buy the damn thing but it was easily the weakest BD i'd bought to date. Hopefully, they've improved the picture to the point where it's noticeably different? Please HELP!

Sorry I posted in HD DVD, but they are the same PQ wise. I was ultimately referring to BD but it doesn't matter with WB.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:38 PM

Front the review:

Quote:
Unfortunately, while I'll always give props to a studio for supporting high-res audio, it's clear that the source is the same, and this track is obviously limited by the source material.
I believe the source material in this case is mono. I'm fairly certain the original theatrical release was in mono as was the laserdisc and original DVD. I believe the soundtrack was remastered later on to 5.1.

--Guy