Great review of "Total Recall" import HD DVD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-23-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Great review of "Total Recall" import HD DVD

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/firstloo...dvdimport/4282

Quote:
As with all of the HD-DVDs I've watched, it appears that this transfer is as good as the print from which it was made. I know that Dean was not entirely pleased with the look of "Total Recall" on Blu-ray, saying it "looked only marginally better than the Special Limited Edition DVD playing in an upconverted DVD player." Not so here. The HD-DVD, while maybe not in the very highest echelon of HD picture quality, nevertheless looks quite vibrant and well delineated in its VC-1, 1080p transfer. Grain is almost never an issue, blacks are solid, hues are realistically rendered, and all the reds, oranges, and browns of Mars are captured in appropriate detail. Facial close-ups are especially revealing, although some medium and long shots probably looked a bit soft in the original camera negative. Still, it's a darn sight better looking than my standard-definition version of the movie.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
Helllls yeah. Not only is it a great movie but the HD DVD version is better than blu-ray.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:05 PM

I was thinking about picking this up but I heard that the audio suffers from a PAL speedup issue causing it to sound high pitched. Any one hear about this issue and can comment ?
Old 01-23-2007, 04:19 PM

I didn't notice any speedup issues watching my copy. Also, per Microsoft's Kevin Collins, "The Studio Canal HD DVD titles are all done at 24FPS,
since all the HD TV's that are being sold in Europe support 60hz/FPS."
Old 01-24-2007, 06:36 AM

I own the "Total Recall" HD-DVD & i can say that is a great transfer with vibrant colours and excellent audio. Considering how old this flick is, they did an pretty good job... i'm impatient to see their transferts of "the laureate" and "The days of the Condor"; older classics...
i'm not too peased with Universal transfert of "The Sting"; i feel that it didn't gain much from the HD... on the other side WB did a great job with "Casablanca"...
so it is really in how much time and resources you invest in the transfer process... I hope that Studio Canal will be on the WB train, not the Universal one...
Old 01-24-2007, 11:40 AM

The high-pitched audio issue has been overblown. I mulled whether I should keep the HD DVD or sell it, but I watched it again & it isn't bad.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:40 PM

this is a great purchase. Anyone know wether the Rambo french imorts are English Language?.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenmulder View Post
this is a great purchase. Anyone know wether the Rambo french imorts are English Language?.
If you search this site, you will see that ALL the American films getting a release in France are set up to not only give you the English tracks in DTS-HD, but you are also given the option to pick your native language when the disc is inserted for the menus.

Lego

Last edited by Legobricke; 01-25-2007 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:19 PM

thanks Lego
Old 01-24-2007, 03:52 PM

Just placed an order for Total Recall and Basic Instinct, even with the pal speed up rumors, due to this review. I had them on order before but only bought La Haine because I was worried about the issues w/ pitch but I don't really care anymore so I'm interested to see how I like them and hope they're here before the end of the week.