Just Went Red - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-27-2007, 02:20 PM

Default Just Went Red

Well, I took advantage of the recent deal at Best Buy for the HD-DVD drive for the Xbox 360. I picked up the Departed, Blood Diamond and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, along with season one of Heroes. I already own a standard copy of Heroes, so I'm looking to part with the HD-DVD version simply because I don't expect to watch the entire season again, having just watched it in the run-up to season two.

I've been lurking on the boards for the past day and a half, so I see that the boards, like the sales, favor Bluray. I'm sure I'll be chided for my decision to back the dark horse, but I have been thoroughly impressed with HD-DVD thus far, and with the eight free movies and copy of Heroes, the drive has paid for itself.

I did a write up on my site about some of the reasons I chose HD-DVD over Bluray. Cost was, of course, a factor. I also was never inspired by the Bluray Group's efforts to eliminate choice from the equation by locking in all of the studios. I know that HD-DVD and Paramount have taken similar strides, so there's a level of hypocrisy in my criticisms of Bluray. At any rate, I got some serious flaming from Bluray supporters, and I suppose I should have expected the reaction I got.

Now that the flames have died down I'm just getting back to enjoying movies in HD. Sorry for the long post, but I just figured I'd intoduce myself. I hope to be an active part of this community.

PS ~ Just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Sorry, mods.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:29 PM

The die hard playstation crowd seem to always get upset whenever some swaps over, I guess they resent it as it reinforced the fact that playstation discs are not the absoulte domininte next-gen think that sony told them they would be. They'll get over it!

Enjoy the films on both sides. Check out the extra's on Heros too before you sell it, it's a good example of the HDi layer.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:53 PM

Hey! Welcome to the war!

You made a good decision in purchasing HD DVDs and the Xbox 360 Add-on. Though not as capable as standalone HD DVD players, it's still capable of packing quite a punch.

HD DVD is a great format as is Blu-ray. Each has their strengths and weaknesses, and I hope that you remain confident and happy with your purchase. I know I have.

Here's a couple HD DVDs I would recommend out of my personal collection: Tansformers, Children of Men, 40 Year Old Virgin, The Matrix Trilogy, and The Shining. Also, Citizen Erased is right. You at least need to pop in the Heroes disc and demo some of the HDi features (pop-in, PiP). They are really really cool.

And if you do decide to play the Heroes disc, don't be discouraged by the loading times of the internet enabled features, and don't cancel them. Just let it run it's course (2-10 minutes).
Old 10-27-2007, 03:02 PM

Yeah, I know I was considering holding on to the HD version of Heroes, but apparently Walmart will let me exchange it for store credit without a receipt. I was planning to use the store credit to pick up The Matrix set, since I just rented The Matrix Reloaded and had my socks rocked.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:46 PM

Hey, you guys just reminded me to buy the Matrix box set. My sub-woofer arrives Monday!
Old 10-27-2007, 05:20 PM

Why get rid of the HD DVD heroes? even if you dont watch it anytime soon it seems like a better idea to keep the best version, id be getting rid of the SD DVD version instead, but hey if you wanna give the HD DVD away id take it off your hands (worth a shot?)
Old 10-27-2007, 05:25 PM

welcome to hd dvd!! I was thinking of getting a ps3 for just blu ray but at the rate of their pricing i'll wait until much later on. the xbox 360 hd dvd player deal @ best buy is by far the best deal offered that i'm aware of and is well worth it. it pays itself off really when you think about it. the only hassle is waiting about 3 months for the 5 mail in rebate movies to arrive but what the heck..by then you'll have picked up more hd dvd movies and will have hopefully built up a collection like I have. Enjoy! By the way, you could always sell or trade your Heroes Season 1 HD to me if you want. look at my signature as I got those movies available
Old 10-27-2007, 05:28 PM

Well, Walmart's exchange policy would put $70 worth of store credit at my disposal for expanding my HD collection. It's a tough call and out here Walmart isn't really a convenient place to go. Oregon is rather anti-WallyWorld, so it's about a 30-40 minute drive each way for me to get out there. A pain in the ass, I know.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:46 PM

true, but they do ask for id and keep you on file and will flag it. not that you return an item without a receipt just to be on the safe side they do it. I rarely return anything without a receipt and much less shop at wal mart. you can always sell or trade it too
Old 10-27-2007, 05:51 PM

That's definitely food for thought... I will be mulling this one over.