'Eyes Wide Shut' - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-25-2007, 01:49 AM
HDD Founder

Default 'Eyes Wide Shut' - High-Def Digest review

Peter's review of 'Eyes Wide Shut' is up. He says this one's probably the weakest of the Kubrick films hittingf high-def this week, held back by a bit noisy, oversaturated, washed-out transfer, and a bland soundtrack. On the bright side, at least a nice selection of fresh extras provide some welcome context.

Full review here
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/378/eyeswideshut.html
Old 10-25-2007, 02:26 AM

interesting. I guess I'm a little dissapointed the pq isn't better, but given that I've been waiting forever (I refused to buy the censored sd version) to see this, I'm still very psyched.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:32 AM

Mine arrives today. Can't wait to hear that single piano key over and over.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:39 AM

Brilliant film, looking forward to receiving my shipment from Warner. It's very odd that the disc seems to be missing the R-rated theatrical version though.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:10 AM

Definitly skipping this one...didnt like it that much.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:53 PM

Over-saturated colors? Thats what Kubrick was after and its 100% intentional. See its really comments like that that make me have very little respect for reviews here. Marking down Eyes Wide Shut for having a very saturated palette is mind boggling.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeTheatreFreak View Post
Over-saturated colors? Thats what Kubrick was after and its 100% intentional. See its really comments like that that make me have very little respect for reviews here. Marking down Eyes Wide Shut for having a very saturated palette is mind boggling.
remember though, thats just one reviewers opinion. it doesn't really matter what Kubrick was going for, but what the viewer likes to see
Old 10-25-2007, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeTheatreFreak View Post
Im a huge fan of Eyes Wide Shut, and was a bit put off by this review. In your opinion, what would you give the picture quality?
Old 10-27-2007, 07:25 PM

Default Unrated??

This is supposed to be "Unrated" correct? My copy just arrived....& much to my surprise....
box art lists: "Rated R!" Also, it lists running time of 159min., same as original Rated R DVD.

Amazon has it listed as NC-17, DVD Empire has it NR, the box says R, & Mr. Bracke has it Unrated. Any thoughts on the confusion? I haven't watched it yet to see what is actually on disc. Maybe/hopefully Warner just has a "typo" on the box art?

Anyone else??

Last edited by Nismo; 10-27-2007 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo View Post
This is supposed to be "Unrated" correct? My copy just arrived....& much to my surprise....
box art lists: "Rated R!" Also, it lists running time of 159min., same as original Rated R DVD.

Amazon has it listed as NC-17, DVD Empire has it NR, the box says R, & Mr. Bracke has it Unrated. Any thoughts on the confusion? I haven't watched it yet to see what is actually on disc. Maybe/hopefully Warner just has a "typo" on the box art?

Anyone else??
From the review:
Quote:
(Note: The back packaging of both the HD DVD and Blu-ray versions of 'Eyes Wide Shut' appears to contain one major gaffe. The box claims that the film's R-rated and Unrated versions are both included on the disc, each selectable before the film begins. However, so far as I've been able to determine, there's no such option anywhere on the disc. Instead, this release seems to contain only the Unrated version of the film. Given the outcry that greeted the censored R-rated version upon the film's theatrical release in the US, here's guessing few will complain about its apparent absence here.)