HDD Founder

Default 'Twilight Zone: The Movie' - High-Def Digest review

Peter's review of the 'Twilight Zone: The Movie' is up. He was
pleasantly surprised by this HD DVD, finding both the audio and the
video first-rate for a catalog title.

Full review here:
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/1021/...ethemovie.html
Old 10-19-2007, 04:20 PM

I love this movie. I've had it preordered for a while now.
It's a shame that tragedy lies behind it, but the reviewer's judgment is definitely clouded by that.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:38 PM

Glad a review is finally up for this. watched it last week and thought the pq was quite uneven. Strangely enough I thought the last part looked the worst, while I have read other reviews saying the quality improves throughout. For me I thought the first segment looked the best along with the 3rd segment. weird. I really think having a large plasma or lcd (which I don't) can make these dvds look far worse sometimes than what I see on my much smaller hd crt. interesting review nonetheless.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:52 PM

Giving this a rent. They need to get the whole Twighlight Zone collection on HDDVD..that would be awesome.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:00 PM

That would be the greatest ever!! my all-time favorite tv show. never have been a fan of the movie at all. It's ok.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
I love this movie. I've had it preordered for a while now.
It's a shame that tragedy lies behind it, but the reviewer's judgment is definitely clouded by that.
I agree with this post. Twilight Zone the Movie is a highly entertaining anthology flick, especially considering that I can think of very few anthology movies that are actually successful in their attempts to entertain me.

Reading this review, it does seem like Peter dwells on the deaths of the actors much more than reviewing the film for the piece of art that it is. Sure, the death of the three actors was truly a tragedy, but its not as if this is the first, nor sadly the last time that a tragedy like this will strike.

Authors/musicians/film makers do in fact die in the process of creating their art from time to time. Sure, its makes the end product thats released after the artist's death a little more difficult to embrace at first...but after a while you need to just let it go (especially 24 years on) and just figure out a way to appreciate the art for what it is and not be distracted by the mythos that surround it.

I got my copy of Twilight Zone the Movie in the mail the other day, and I watched it for the first time in about seven years. IMO, the Vic Morrow segment of the film is very strong, entertaining, and loaded with interesting metaphors. I'm surely not going to skip this segment when I watch the film, as I actually see it as one of the strongest links in the film. Aside from the performances, Spielberg's "Kick the Can" segment is fairly irrelevant and easily skippable in this day and age. Meanwhile, the last two segments are both winners and they still creep me out ever so slightly
Old 10-19-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltobeyou View Post
I agree with this post. Twilight Zone the Movie is a highly entertaining anthology flick, especially considering that I can think of very few anthology movies that are actually successful in their attempts to entertain me.

Reading this review, it does seem like Peter dwells on the deaths of the actors much more than reviewing the film for the piece of art that it is. Sure, the death of the three actors was truly a tragedy, but its not as if this is the first, nor sadly the last time that a tragedy like this will strike.

Authors/musicians/film makers do in fact die in the process of creating their art from time to time. Sure, its makes the end product thats released after the artist's death a little more difficult to embrace at first...but after a while you need to just let it go (especially 24 years on) and just figure out a way to appreciate the art for what it is and not be distracted by the mythos that surround it.

I got my copy of Twilight Zone the Movie in the mail the other day, and I watched it for the first time in about seven years. IMO, the Vic Morrow segment of the film is very strong, entertaining, and loaded with interesting metaphors. I'm surely not going to skip this segment when I watch the film, as I actually see it as one of the strongest links in the film. Aside from the performances, Spielberg's "Kick the Can" segment is fairly irrelevant and easily skippable in this day and age. Meanwhile, the last two segments are both winners and they still creep me out ever so slightly

I agree with just about everything you said. The 3rd segment (I forget what it's called) scared me pretty good when I watched it again on Blu-ray. It looks like someone
is having a seriously bad trip heh.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:29 PM

has one of my all time favorite openings then it bogs down then comes right up i would like to get this one.it is a little hard not to think about what happened but it 's never stopped me from watching it. hell i think about what happened when i watch bad news bears and fast times at ridgemont high.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:40 PM

I think Peter did a spot on job in his review.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:40 PM

Peter has a bit of the chronology of the Twilight Zone accident and the production of the movie wrong.

According to Ron LaBrecque's book Special Effects about the accident, John Landis' episode had actually completed shooting and a rough cut had been finished. The scene in question was not in the original script but was in fact added to soften the character played by Vic Morrow. I believe all the other segments had already been completed also. Morrow was actually called back to shoot this additional scene some weeks after they had wrapped principal photography on the episode.

So the episode that we see in the film is what was originally planned. The ending of it is not confusing because they couldn't finish it, thats the way it was written.

Doug