'Galapagos' - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-16-2007, 01:20 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'Galapagos' - High-Def Digest review

Kenneth's review of 'Galapagos' is up. As BBC Video's follow-up to its phenomenally successful next-gen release of 'Planet Earth,' Kenneth says this HD DVD is sure to find its way into HDTV showrooms across across the country. Unfortunately, despite all the high-def eye candy, a stereo sound mix and a total lack of extras drag down the overall grade.

Full review here:
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/932/galapagos.html
Old 10-16-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Tilda Swinton (currently starring in 'Michael Clayton' but more commonly recognized as the villainess in 'Constantine')
Did Ken actually ever watch Constantine?
If so, I'm scared to rely on any of his reviews in the future.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:20 PM

Finally you guys get a review up...I thought this gen was going to fly by unnoticed...I even made a thread on it.

I have to say that it looks incredible.
It is not only beautiful, but well narrated, and has a runtime of 2 hours and 36 minutes...so its definitly a documentary worth 20 bucks unlike a 52 minute Blue Planet.
The only downside is that, as a documentary, the audio isnt super impressive although better than Planet Earth, and there are no extras...but a 2 and half hour documentary is well worth the money.
I am definitly picking this up, as it was as good as the most interesting parts of Planet Earth, and looked better to me.

My score:
Movie: 4/5
PQ: 4.5/5
Audio: 3/5
Overall: 4/5
Old 10-16-2007, 11:59 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbob View Post
Did Ken actually ever watch Constantine?
If so, I'm scared to rely on any of his reviews in the future.
I have watched the film. Tilda Swinton played Gabriel, one of the subvillains in 'Constantine.' Remember that she's the one that loses her wings at the end of the film and begs Keanu to kill her. He leaves her alive so she can suffer like a human after all the things she's done to wrong humanity.

You may have her mixed up with another actress, but the woman who narrates 'Galapagos' is definitely the villainess in 'Constantine' (and also the White Witch in 'Chronicles of Narnia').

Hope that helps! Thanks as always for posting.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:30 AM

Thanks Ken!
I've never thought of her as a villian - what does that say about me??
Tilda Swinton is hot in anything of course.
She was awesome as the Snow Queen in Narnia.
Keep them reviews coming...
Old 10-17-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Brown View Post
I have watched the film. Tilda Swinton played Gabriel, one of the subvillains in 'Constantine.' Remember that she's the one that loses her wings at the end of the film and begs Keanu to kill her. He leaves her alive so she can suffer like a human after all the things she's done to wrong humanity.
If I have any objection to that description, it's that Gabriel is not precisely female. The character is meant to be asexual.

I prefer to remember Swinton as the hero of 'Orlando'. She seems to make a career of playing characters of ambiguous sexuality.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
If I have any objection to that description, it's that Gabriel is not precisely female. The character is meant to be asexual.

I prefer to remember Swinton as the hero of 'Orlando'. She seems to make a career of playing characters of ambiguous sexuality.
I especially enjoyed her performance in Derek Jarman's 'Edward II'
Old 07-10-2011, 05:35 PM

We finally tore the shrink wrap off this HD-DVD title and watched it. It played perfectly. It was absolutely excellent. It includes the 3 part BBC/NG series totaling 2.5 hours. It was very interesting and kept us watching for all 3 episodes/chapters. The PQ was excellent, and the AQ, although only 2 channel lossy dolby digital was perfectly adequate for this show. This is definitely worth acquiring and enjoying on your HD optical media format of choice.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:30 AM
Banned

I like this movie very much, everytime I watched it I will find some new interesting things.