HD DVD marketing is still pathetic - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-10-2007, 08:54 PM

Default HD DVD marketing is still pathetic

I just finished reading my new issue of Official XBox Magazine and right on page 6 is a full page advertisment for Transformers and it doesnt mention HD DVD at all. Zip nodda nothing. It however does show that a special 2 disc edition is available and even has a small picture of it.

I am sorry but there is just no excuse for this. Not only is this HD DVD's biggest release of the year, its easily HD DVD's biggest exclusive title since inception. So what do they do? They run a full page advertisment in a 360 magazine and they dont even mention the HD DVD and yes this is the same XBox 360 that has an HD DVD add on designed for it. I mean what kind of morons are in charge of marketing for both Dreamworks and HD DVD? How in the hell can you not advertise the HD DVD version of the biggest film ever released on the format especially in a XBox360 magazine. I mean it is just uttely mind numbingly ignorant and mind numbingly stupid. It shouldnt even matter that its a 360 magazine however it just makes the omission that much more unacceptable.

If the studios want to blame anyone for this slow adoption of HD they have nobody to blame but themselves. As long as they continue to give SD DVD the royal treatment while giving HD DVD the red haired stepchild treatment adoption is going to remain slow.

I am sorry I am just disgusted after seeing that and I had to vent my frustration. Marketing is key in this war and is key to getting people to realize that these formats even exist. Every study they do shows that up to 65-70% of the public dont even know what HD DVD or Blu-Ray are and this is what they are doing to turn that around, giving SD DVD the spotlight as always and utterly ignoring HD.

If this was some other film I might have overlooked it but Transformers? Its just showing a level of ignorance that to be quite honest I am shocked to see coming from either one of these formats.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:05 PM

Well, at least the tv spots for Transformers mention HD DVD, that reaches a MUCH larger audience than 360 magazine (but I agree that because of the add-on, it should get mentioned there).
Old 10-10-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
Well, at least the tv spots for Transformers mention HD DVD, that reaches a MUCH larger audience than 360 magazine (but I agree that because of the add-on, it should get mentioned there).
It should be metioned everywhere. Every single ad or commercial for Transformers should show that its available on HD DVD as well. Hell IMO that ad in the 360 magazine should have been 100% about the HD DVD version and shouldnt have even mentioned the SD DVD. Everyone already knows the SD DVD will be coming. Its HD that needs advertising not SD DVD. So again what they should have done is run a full page ad on just the HD DVD and listed all of the special features that will be on the HD DVD as well as some advantages to HD DVD in general. They can then list at the bottom that it also available in SD DVD and a 2 disc SE.

Its the difference between good marketing and quite frankly pathetic marketing and I am sorry to say, even with the commericals that I have seen, the overall state of advertising for the HD formats is still pathetic compared to SD DVD and as long as it stays like that adoption will remain slow imo.

By the way the Official xBox magazine is the most popular gaming magazine in the US in terms of number of subscribers. You talking about hundreds of thousands of people who will see that ad and thats hundreds of thousands of people that will not see HD DVD associated with one of the years best and highest grossing films. I just think its utterly unacceptable and it really shows a serious problem exists for something like this to happen with something so important and I absolutely think Transformers is hugely important for HD DVD this year.

Last edited by HomeTheatreFreak; 10-11-2007 at 01:21 AM.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:25 PM

I would agree. I'm rather dissapointed in how HD DVD has been marketed. Technically I feel HD DVD is much superior (opinion, not up for debate). But marketing wise BD is really doing well. As a Home Theater salesperson I'm amazed at how many people come up and either ask about BD or don't understand that there is two formats. I really hope that the HD DVD Promotions Group starts to pick up on this and begins to explain the value in HD DVD.

As a sidenote, I think one of the most beneficial sales techniques I use, when someone doesn't want to do either, is to bring up they can get the 720p version of HD DVD for less than, or close to, the price of a good upconvert player (when purchased with a television). When it's explained that way HD DVD is a no brainer - it's just as cheap at $150, it comes with the 5 free HD DVD's rebate (aprox $150 value), it upconverts extremely well and you can watch HD movies on it. Most people get the upconvert statement at a similar price, but the bonus is being able to play HD movies. Anyone out there have any other sales ideas.

PS. I also explain the benefits of BD and give them equal billing - I believe the consumer should have all of the information and make an informed choice, this technique is for people that think they should wait and just buy an upconvert - which in my opinion doesn't make sense.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:56 PM

I agree. I don't find either superior, besides HD DVD's pricing, I think they both have their strengths and weaknesses. But last week I walked into Best Buy and they had a full fledged Blu-ray display, and I have yet to see any HD DVD display, or at least to my knowledge.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:59 AM

HD DVD is a marathon ride ... it was just 2 months ago when everyone thought that it will die but its getting ready for a dash
Old 10-11-2007, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivasawa_Jin View Post
HD DVD is a marathon ride ... it was just 2 months ago when everyone thought that it will die but its getting ready for a dash
I have never thought that HD DVD was anywhere close to dying. With that being said this isnt about HD DVD dying, its about HD DVD having a terrible marketing team period and I dont care what anyone says, allowing a full page Transformers add to be printed in the latest XBox360 magazine without even a mention of the HD DVD version is simply unacceptable. Its the kind of mistake you would expect from a tiny local newspaper, not a multi bilion dollar corporation. I would fire the entire staff that was resonsible for that with no remorse whatsoever.

Its almost as if Toshiba isnt taking alot of different aspects to this war seriously. I find that really confusing as well because Toshiba should know as well as anyone the power that marketing has in todays business world. We are getting close to the 2 year mark for HD DVD and I have yet to really see them take advertsing seriously and I think it has hurt them and will continue to hurt them if they dont turn it around.

Does anyone here remember the website for the look and sound of perfect and how out of date and terrible it was? They updated it like once every 5 months and it was really just worthless. That combined with the weak advertising campaign is really just confusing for me to understand especially in todays world. All of these things effect image and image is everything today.

Oh well all I can do is hope someone over there has a brain and they decide to finally start using it. Either that or hopefully someone comes to thier senses and fires the company responsible for HD DVD marketing thus far and hires a better firm.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:02 AM

On TV last night (in the UK) they advertised the DVD of 300 and at the end they showed the covers of the SD, HD and Blu versions but apart from that is the only mention of HD DVD that I've seen on TV.

However I've seen quite a lot of Blu-Ray adverts on TV, Even ads for PS3 games now mention that they are Blu-Ray games.

The HD DVD camp have a lot to learn. Marketing is 80% of the battle.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:28 AM

HD DVD, err I mean Toshiba is still banking on $$ player $$ prices in this so called format war. Wether that is enough I dunno.

DreamWorks will make a fortune off that MS Mag advert regardless of format. Makes sense to ad SD sinse all 360's can playback SD right out of the box. Every average joe six pack is no longer considered a JSP with regard to SD DVD.

Throw in a HD DVD ad & 400,000 subscribers will get confused.

Throw in a picture of the HD DVD add-on with a picture of Transformers on HD DVD & 400,000 subscribers are educated.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:42 AM

although is wierd as OXM seems to support HDDVD from what Ive heard(not a fan of Videogame Magz. Sorry)...but the TV advertising is way better than Bluray, who doesnt mention Blu in any ad spots for movies being released(28 weeks later, Rise of the Silver Surfer, etc.)