HD DVD to add region coding? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-04-2007, 03:17 PM

Default HD DVD to add region coding?

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...71004/dvd1.htm

Check out the 4th slide. Clearly visible is RPC (Region Playback Control).

Amir has stated many times that region coding is almost certainly not going to happen on HD DVD, and as it's one of the format's key advantages over BD it would be a tragedy if this most anti-consumer of restrictions was shoe horned into the format.

Has Amir been asked about this over at AVS?
Old 10-04-2007, 03:47 PM

maybe only for the Chinese spec? those are certainly limited to that region.... unfortunately, I cannot read japanese.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:50 PM

That wouldn't be cool but either way all players currently on the market are region free and would play any discs. Only future players could be region controlled if they so desired.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:12 PM

Actually what Amir has said is that current players and currently released titles would not have region coding. He has also said that adding Region Coding to HD DVD had lost momentum so he didn't feel that it was likely that it would get added.

However, Amir has never said that it is not going to happen on HD DVD, just that at the time there was no demand for it, however the recent New Line decisions delaying titles due to region coding may have changed that.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:15 PM

I don't see RPC on any of those slides...
Old 10-05-2007, 03:18 AM

good thing the only titles i want from new line are lord of the rings and se7en which i will most likely import from italy
Old 10-05-2007, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
However, Amir has never said that it is not going to happen on HD DVD, just that at the time there was no demand for it, however the recent New Line decisions delaying titles due to region coding may have changed that.
Its weird, because New Line have now announced a dual format release of Pan's Labyrinth on HD-DVD and Blu Ray
Old 10-05-2007, 03:53 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroadley View Post
Its weird, because New Line have now announced a dual format release of Pan's Labyrinth on HD-DVD and Blu Ray
Not really as it is a catalog release. People have always failed to mention that the New Line "delay" is only for new releases where they don't own the rights to the film overseas.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...71004/dvd1.htm

Check out the 4th slide. Clearly visible is RPC (Region Playback Control).

Amir has stated many times that region coding is almost certainly not going to happen on HD DVD, and as it's one of the format's key advantages over BD it would be a tragedy if this most anti-consumer of restrictions was shoe horned into the format.

Has Amir been asked about this over at AVS?
That slide says something like this:

"Ad hoc group's progress"

AH0-22
HD DVD-ROM's RPC (Region Playback Control)
- Studying robustness of region code control system

It does imply that they are working on some system for RPC. Very nasty if it becomes reality and starts to be used in content. It would certainly stop me from buying new players that include the feature unless there are region free solutions available.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8 View Post
Not really as it is a catalog release. People have always failed to mention that the New Line "delay" is only for new releases where they don't own the rights to the film overseas.
I think the delay is actually for films that they DO own the rights to overseas because they would just be hurting their own profits. I could be reading it wrong though.

Quote:
"Since we sell to independent international distributors, we have to be more sensitive to their release dates than a major studio," Lasorsa added. "But for second-party acquisitions to which we don't have international rights, we will be day-and-date on all three formats."