Any Chance for Dr. Who - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-15-2007, 11:00 AM

Default Any Chance for Dr. Who

Now that BBC is releasing on HD-DVD any chance we'll get the 1st and 2nd Series of the New Show ?
Old 01-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure tbh - I haven't heard any rumours about any impending release but never say never.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:39 PM

I would assume not. The show is actually made in SD (Filmed on video which is then filmized), so there would be no benefit to having in HD.

Torchwood, on the other hand, would look quite nicely.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkerTails View Post
I would assume not. The show is actually made in SD (Filmed on video which is then filmized), so there would be no benefit to having in HD.

Torchwood, on the other hand, would look quite nicely.
Really?! I'm 99% certain I read about a year ago that Season 2 of Doctor Who (if not the first) was filmed in high def (and Torchwood certainly was).

However I think we're a year behind the USA in terms of the BBC bothering to release anything in High Def on disk. The market isn't there yet and although everyone keeps pointing to Life on Earth that's not a BBC UK release, but one that's been licensed abroad isn't it?
Old 01-15-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irascian View Post
Really?! I'm 99% certain I read about a year ago that Season 2 of Doctor Who (if not the first) was filmed in high def (and Torchwood certainly was).
Nope. As a big fan (Canadian fan, none the less) of Doctor Who, I know for certain that Series 2 is not HD. Series 3 was going to be the first HD Doctor Who, but that idea was scrapped for a number of reasons, including the fact that the special effects would cost too much to be done in HD, and at the time the decision was made, the first episodes of Torchwood were being filmed, and the crew was having problems with the HD cameras.

It's a shame, since it'd look amazing, but we'll have to wait until at least Series 4, unfortunately
Old 01-15-2007, 04:56 PM
Founding Member

maybe some of the old Dr Who films get released