How is the PQ on Apollo 13? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-14-2007, 01:47 PM

Default How is the PQ on Apollo 13?

I am thinking of picking this movie up later today.I have the previous dvd release, the Anniversary Edition, is it much better than that?
Old 01-14-2007, 02:53 PM

I don't know much about the anniversary edition, it is quite funny that you asked about this film because I was just watching this movie today. I'm not a critic but here goes. All the space scenes are great-Tom Hanks, Paxton, and Bacon look amazing throughout the entire movie, colors are great. My only complaint is the scenes in the control room, (Ed Harris) they have a tendency to be a bit grainy. However it did not stop me from it being a buy to add to my collection. I think the film looks great and of course it is a great movie. Hope this helped!

This I cut and paste from HDD review:
All that said, the 2.35:1 image presented here on this HD DVD was taken from the same new HD master minted for the Anniversary Edition standard DVD, and it does look great. I had not seen this film for many years, and doing a direct A/B comparison to both the Anniversary Edition and original (now out-of-print) original DVD from 1998 really showed how far transfer technology has come. Of course the HD-DVD blows away the original 1998 release, but it also improves upon last year's DVD reissue. Thanks to the HD format's expanded color space, colors are a bit richer -- reds especially appeared more saturated but no more noisy, and I loved the deep blues and purples of the film's vast outer space vistas. (Call me a geek, but I frequently paused the picture, just to stare at the many impressive recreations of our Earth's atmosphere.) And as expected, detail is also improved over last year's standard DVD release. Encoded as all of Universal's HD-DVD releases are at 1080p, the image is often stunning in its clarity and depth. I gained even more appreciation for the film's production design -- you can now see just how intricate are the details of the cramped cockpit of the Apollo 13, and the tiniest touches in the recreation of the NASA command center

Last edited by dandeeswish; 01-14-2007 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:02 PM

I can recommend the hd dvd of apollo 13,i can't say its outstanding but you can't go wrong with the quality to the s-dvd.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Founding Member

For an old Movie the Picture is good not as great as Grand Prix though
Old 01-14-2007, 09:52 PM

I agree...Grand Prix was extremely impressive!
Old 01-15-2007, 12:30 PM
Founding Member

It was and The searchers is incredible
Old 01-16-2007, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenmulder View Post
For an old Movie the Picture is good not as great as Grand Prix though
Old movie?

I don't think Apollo 13 is that old. Now Casablance and Robin Hood; that's old.

Agree with the Grand Prix picture, but to be honest, couldn't wait for that movie to end. Just couldn't get into the story and found myself not caring about anyone in it.