'Smallville: Season 6' - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-24-2007, 12:23 AM
HDD Founder

Default 'Smallville: Season 6' - High-Def Digest review

Kenneth's review of 'Smallville: The Complete Sixth Season' is up. A fan of the show, he thought the sixth season was particularly strong. Overall, he gives this HD DVD good grades too, with both the video and audio boasting a nice upgrade,
especially compared to the show's original broadcast.

Full review here:
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/959/smallvilles6.html
Old 09-24-2007, 01:48 AM

Love season 5 on HD DVD, ill be picking this up next week, even though i saw these on tv already the HD DVD versions are just so good that its worth watching them over again. sometimes the picture looks so good its like your watching whats happening through a window
Old 09-24-2007, 03:33 AM

Too bad I still can't just grab Allison Mack right out of my HDTV.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:15 AM
Banned

Its such a shame that the first few seasons werent in HD.. I really wanted to try watching this show.. but Id prefer to have them in hi def..

Id love to start this show.. I blind bought Weeds and I love it..
Old 09-24-2007, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice2Dragon View Post
Its such a shame that the first few seasons werent in HD.. I really wanted to try watching this show.. but Id prefer to have them in hi def..

Id love to start this show.. I blind bought Weeds and I love it..
If your a fan of Superman in general then I cannot possibly give this show a higher recomendation. There are a few episodes that hve some problems throghout the years but overall this is a great series that my son, my wife and myself enjoy very much.

It does suck that the original seasons were not shot in HD buut you win some and you lose some in the HD game. I thought both Season 5 and Season 6 were 2 of the better seaons in the series so if were only gonna get a few seasons in HD, it would be the later ones that I would wish for so i am thank for for that.

My only complaint with this show is that I wish the overall storyline progressed a bit faster. Were already entering season 7 and Superman is just now beginnng to realize his destiny is to help mankind. I really think that it should have only taken like 4 seasons to get to where we are right now in terms of clarks character. It makes me wonder just how many seasons this show will remain on the air and just how far they will get in this regard. Really beyond this one complaint its one of my favorite shows on televison and I cant wait to rewatch this season HD DVD.

Last edited by HomeTheatreFreak; 09-24-2007 at 04:47 AM.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:09 AM

still desperately waiting for warner to ship this to me!!!
Old 09-24-2007, 11:43 AM

Either High-Def Digest is finally beginning to rate HiDef sound by how they hear it instead of how it is, or they're just being biased.

Blu-Ray has just Dolby Digital 5.1 and HD DVD has Dolby Digital Plus 5.1; I do wonder why Blu-Ray didn't get subtracted at least a half or a full star for that.

Either way, nice review, but I never liked Smallville after-mid 4th season.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liqwid View Post
Either High-Def Digest is finally beginning to rate HiDef sound by how they hear it instead of how it is, or they're just being biased.

Blu-Ray has just Dolby Digital 5.1 and HD DVD has Dolby Digital Plus 5.1; I do wonder why Blu-Ray didn't get subtracted at least a half or a full star for that.
The Plus is encoded at same bitrate so can't guarantee better sound. If you can't discern difference you shouldn't be able to give it better score just for it being better in theory.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru2blu View Post
The Plus is encoded at same bitrate so can't guarantee better sound. If you can't discern difference you shouldn't be able to give it better score just for it being better in theory.
I'm just saying: there have been instances where there are downgrades in rating because of DD+. I've never seen DD get such a high rating.

I don't know; my bias may just be shining too much. I'll chill here. I'll leave my debating for smackdown.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:34 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liqwid View Post
I'm just saying: there have been instances where there are downgrades in rating because of DD+. I've never seen DD get such a high rating.

I don't know; my bias may just be shining too much. I'll chill here. I'll leave my debating for smackdown.
In every instance where there was a higher score between other reviews, the audio bitrate was also higher (1.5 Mbps rather than 640 kbps) and advantages were noted. HD DVD can't decode a standard Dolby track at 640 kbps (only at 448 kbps I believe) -- only their Digital-Plus track can do that. While Universal often encodes their Digital-Plus tracks at 1.5 Mbps, Warner often decodes theirs at 640 kbps.

While this doesn't please HD DVD fans like yourself, it does help to equalize the two releases on two different formats (which is a plus in my book -- that way every consumer benefits equally).

We rate audio tracks on their merits and deduct up to one full star for the absence of technically superior tracks. In this case, I was impressed with the strong television audio mix but unimpressed with the inclusion of a standard Dolby track. Thus the four star audio rating.

Hope that helps clarify -- thanks as always for posting!