Will "Serenity: CE" come to HD DVD? (My first post) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-24-2007, 12:16 AM

Default Will "Serenity: CE" come to HD DVD? (My first post)

Hey, great forum. I've been lurking around for a while now, decided to go HD DVD (360 add on) and so far I've bought Heroes and Superman Returns. I also have King Kong plus 5 more coming in the mail soon. I plan on getting Transformers next. In the first 2 months since buying the add-on, I will own about 10 HD DVD titles...not bad for someone who thought he was going Blu-Ray.

Anyway, the reason I decided to post is because I was hoping someone might know whether or not the new Serenity: Collector's Edition will be coming to HD DVD? Does anyone think it is likely? Could it perhaps be released in another country so that I may import it?

I haven't seen this addressed but I could be wrong. Hopefully my first post was not a waste. Thnx guys.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:41 AM

Looks like there's a second cast commentary track and a few more extras but if it's the same cut of the film (and I'm pretty sure it) is then I really don't see much to justify a re-release on HD.

The current release isn't too sparse and the film is of course superb (don't think they could have written a better opening ten minutes!). I wouldn't put off buying it on the slim chance it gets re-released with an extra few interviews.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:45 AM

If it is a better PQ then I will buy!
Old 09-24-2007, 01:46 AM

Yeah, i was kind of excited that the CE dvd has DTS, but then i rememberd that the hd dvd has dolby digital plus and that sounds awesome scaled to DTS on my setup anyways
Old 09-24-2007, 01:51 AM

Well we can hope. I would triple dip on this one for sure!!
Old 09-24-2007, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OoAnd1 View Post
Hey, great forum. I've been lurking around for a while now, decided to go HD DVD (360 add on) and so far I've bought Heroes and Superman Returns. I also have King Kong plus 5 more coming in the mail soon. I plan on getting Transformers next. In the first 2 months since buying the add-on, I will own about 10 HD DVD titles...not bad for someone who thought he was going Blu-Ray.

Anyway, the reason I decided to post is because I was hoping someone might know whether or not the new Serenity: Collector's Edition will be coming to HD DVD? Does anyone think it is likely? Could it perhaps be released in another country so that I may import it?

I haven't seen this addressed but I could be wrong. Hopefully my first post was not a waste. Thnx guys.

I find it very unlikely that we will see any double dips simply too add some extras anytime soon. Someone made a post like this regarding the new Babel version that is coming out. Bottom line if its a legitmate special edition with a remastered picture then there is a possibility that it will come out on HD DVD although it still unlikely to see it so soon. On the other hand if the Speical Edition is simply the addition of more extras and nothing else or even more extras with improved sound then I dont think you will see that release make its way over to the HD side, at least not anytime soon. I think it all revolves around wether or not the picture has been remastered that will in fact determine wether or not we see a new version released on HD. So to sum this up I wouldnt get your hopes up for seeing this anytime soon and if I were you I would just get the standard HD version because its an amazing release and its actually the main reason why I ended up supporting HD DVD. I love Serenity and I just couldnt go without it in HD
Old 09-24-2007, 06:17 AM

Don't forget the European release (region free) reportedly already has a better transfer and encoding (due to improvements in the encoding between it's release and the US release). It also has an exclusive extra that was previously only on the PAL DVD releases.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:18 AM

i seem to remember Joss Whedon saying that when they recorded the new commentary, it was also filmed. could be that this will feature as a PIP commentary on a hd-dvd special edition?
Old 09-24-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeTheatreFreak View Post
I find it very unlikely that we will see any double dips simply too add some extras anytime soon. Someone made a post like this regarding the new Babel version that is coming out. Bottom line if its a legitmate special edition with a remastered picture then there is a possibility that it will come out on HD DVD although it still unlikely to see it so soon. On the other hand if the Speical Edition is simply the addition of more extras and nothing else or even more extras with improved sound then I dont think you will see that release make its way over to the HD side, at least not anytime soon.
I agree, especially when the extras were all shot in Standard Definition. Unless the movie itself is remastered (and there isn't much need for it here) or somehow changed (Whedon already claims the theatrical cut is his director's cut), it's hard to justify an HD DVD double-dip.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2099net View Post
Don't forget the European release (region free) reportedly already has a better transfer and encoding (due to improvements in the encoding between it's release and the US release).
This was later debunked. The files are the same size. The movie wasn't re-encoded.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.