Just Watched the Last Star Fighter - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-19-2007, 11:10 PM

Default Just Watched the Last Star Fighter

Loved this movie in my youth and still indulge in it from time to time.

It is of course still some what cheesetastic but still a great flick.

I did not get into the extras yet but I will tell you about the sound and the video.

I thought that the video for 30% of the film was Fantastic especially for the age of this movie. Then there were areas probably 15% that were very poor (DVD Quality). I don't think this has to do with the transfer as much as the source. The rest of this movie was above average - again for its age. I think that it could have been remastered in parts to look better but at what cost. The studio can only put so much into a cult movie. Overall I would give the PQ a 3.5 although in a few scenes it might deserve a 4.5 and in others a 2.0.

I felt the sound was very nicely done considering I doubt that this was produced in anything more than stereo originally. I would give the sound a 4.0.

Great movie-worth a buy for fans and worth a rent (possible buy) for newbies. Some younger people may not appreciate the CGI as it was one of the first to use graphics for most of the special effects. I am still impressed however with some of the make up of the aliens - very nicely done for this time period. There is supposed to be a nice bonus package explaining the CGI use on the movie. I will check this out later.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:23 PM

I just watched it too.

I think it really could have used a remaster.

The PQ does vary from scene to scene - the best thing I noticed was color. Once again scene to scene, but when it's good the colors look great.

Nice sound.

I expected more.

-DE
Old 09-19-2007, 11:25 PM

Waiting for mine to arrive. Never seen it before. Thanks for you impressions.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Element View Post
I just watched it too.

I think it really could have used a remaster.

The PQ does vary from scene to scene - the best thing I noticed was color. Once again scene to scene, but when it's good the colors look great.

Nice sound.

I expected more.

-DE

Yes. It could have definitely used a rematering but it is not Star Wars and I doubt that the studio will every spend that type of money to clean this film up and I would not expect them too. Overall I was pleased. I never bought the DVD so it was not a double dip.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordillius View Post
Waiting for mine to arrive. Never seen it before. Thanks for you impressions.
keep and open mind. It is a good story but the CGI looks video gamish at times. It would have been cool if the Lucasfied the flick to give more detailed graphics.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:46 AM

I think the CGI looks great - not the game scenes mind you, but all the other stuff, just great.

I think they should remaster all older movies. You're paying for a movie with a $30 MSRP, you should get what you're paying for (it is HD after all and not DVD+).

Great movie - my wife liked it and she'd never seem it before. She said it too though "this looks like a DVD". I didn't say anything - and she's not a theatre buff by any means.

-DE
Old 09-20-2007, 01:52 AM

I was actually surprised this was released on to HD, I remember watching it on the Superstation back in the day, and my brother was a huge fan, but would have never thought it would see the light of day aside from replays on TV. Too bad about the PQ but sure to pick it up. Like it was said before, great movie with cult following, but probably not note worthy enough for a remaster. Unless they do the double dip.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty HD View Post
keep and open mind. It is a good story but the CGI looks video gamish at times. It would have been cool if the Lucasfied the flick to give more detailed graphics.
Keep in mind that this was about the 2nd CGI experiment with Tron being the first.