Harry Potter - Most Successful Franchise ever - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-10-2007, 05:58 PM

Default Harry Potter - Most Successful Franchise ever

I know this doesnt have alot to do with HD, well I guess it does considering all 5 films are coming to HD DVD soon but I found this rather interesting and figured I would post it up.

Harry Potter Biggest Film Franchise Ever!

Quote:
ith the success of this summer's Harry Potter And The Order of the Phoenix, Warner Bros announced today that its five Harry Potter films have combined to become the top-grossing film franchise worldwide in history. It surpasses even the box office total of all 22 James Bond and 6 Star Wars franchises, with two films yet to come -- Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
That is IMPRESSIVE to say the least. Beating out Star Wars with one less film or James Bond with 17 less films. This series is a monster and I think its speaks to how important WB is as a studio. I honestly think whoever loses WB will be the format that winds up in a distant 2nd place.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/
Old 09-10-2007, 06:04 PM

Wow! I had no idea!
Old 09-10-2007, 06:07 PM

And the good thing is another movies to be released. Thats another few hundred million to the franchise.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nore15 View Post
And the good thing is another movies to be released. Thats another few hundred million to the franchise.
It has another 2 films coming and the Phoenix is still in theaters around the world & still doing quite well. In all honesty I think that Harry potter in terms of overall profits is going to be like the Titanic for top grossing individual film and that is its going to be such a descrepancy between #1 and #2 that it will be very unlikly to ever be beaten, at least in our lifetime.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:33 PM

Hmm, I'm curious if Star Wars is popular like Harry Potter internationally. Maybe that would be the reason why they have made more or it could be they are not counting inflation.

I saw a Harry Potter flick when I was in Turkey and most if not all english movies have subtitles on the bottom in Turkish but not Harry Potter. It was dubbed in Turkish. Popular little dude he is.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:04 PM

In all fairness, the price of movie tickets to see Star Wars back in the 70's and 80's were $2-$3, compared to $5-$9 now...
Old 09-10-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashamed Pegasus View Post
In all fairness, the price of movie tickets to see Star Wars back in the 70's and 80's were $2-$3, compared to $5-$9 now...
Its called adjusting for inflation which I am 100% positive all the figures that hollywood uses to declare such records are used with adjusted inflation.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:18 PM

Yea there has always been a place for fantasy movies. I honestly think that fantasy movies will always beat out SciFi flicks. Take Lord of The Rings, Chronicles of Narnia and of course Harry Potter. There is some pretty interesting looking flicks still to come, the next 2 potter films, The Golden Compass and the seq to Narnia and also The Hobbit is in the works.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:26 PM

Actually I did some figuring and from the looks of it it looks like WB are not going by adjusted rates and are simply looking at the total gross numbers for thier respected years and nothing more. So taking that into consideration this news that Harry Potter has become the most successful film francise ever should have a footnote explaining that this is for non adjusted value only which in all rights kind of deflates the meaning a tad but its still impressive none the less.

According to my figures

Star Wars Gross w/o inflation = 4,212,592,744
Star Wars Gross with inflation = 7,403,920,117

Harry Potter Gross w/o inflation = 4,470,922,440
Harry Potter Gross with inflation = 4,818,735,137

So as you can see when adjusting for inflation Star Wars beats Potter quite easily by over 2.6 billion dollars. Quite a difference when you adjust for inflation.

The really telling stats come when you look at the number of tickets sold

Star Wars EpIV - A New Hope sold over 347,712,110 Tickets

Harry Potters largest number of tickets sold was with Sorcerers Stone and it only sold 172,522,181 Tickets.

So its very clear that Star Wars really still owns Harry Potter and it would take a considerable performance from its next film, evening both series at 6, for Harry to have any shot of beating Star Wars. That being said by the time #7 rolls around for Harry Potter it could very well be #1 in both non adjusted and adjusted of course by then it will have had an extra film over Star Wars thus it wouldnt be as impressive as it would have being able to beat Star Wars with an equal or lesser number of films.

Either way its clear that Harry Potter is certainly this generations biggest film franchise period with nothing else even coming close to the numbers this frachise is putting up and again I think that really shows just one aspect of how important a studio like WB's really is. Can BD or HD DVD for that matter survive without them?

By the way the inflation figures I used for 2007 were 6.58 per ticket.

Last edited by HomeTheatreFreak; 09-10-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:44 PM

IMO this is sad news, the movies were just ok, nothing speical.