Problem with Heroes 2nd disc - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-06-2007, 11:54 PM

Default Problem with Heroes 2nd disc

I'm trying to play the 2nd disc of Heroes. I put it in the Xbox 360's HD DVD drive, it reads it, it starts up and goes to a black screen and then goes back to the dashboard without giving any error message. The other discs work fine and this one has played before. Before this started happening it was loading and then going to a "Loading" screen which would eventually update to include a "Cancel" button that did nothing and now the disc doesn't play at all.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:59 PM

I am making a wild guess here, but did you previously use one of the special features on the 2nd disc, but turn off while it was still in a modal state? Like in the genetics test or download center? This could cause it to have some saved state which messes up playback.

Anyways, perhaps you should try cleaning out the persistent memory on your 360 drive. Some saved state could be causing it to do the wrong thing on disc startup and cleaning up persistent memory could take care of it. Just guessing though.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:03 AM

Tyro,

Turn on your 360, Go to the System blade and click on Settings. Then click on he HD-DVD Drive. Once there, delete any files that say "unknown" then reload the disc and you should have no more problems.

Hope this helps, had the same problem as well.

Got it yesterday and im already on disc 6 :!!! This show gets REALLY good..
Old 09-07-2007, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limelight_df View Post
Turn on your 360, Go to the System blade and click on Settings. Then click on he HD-DVD Drive. Once there, delete any files that say "unknown" then reload the disc and you should have no more problems.
Right, that is basically what I was suspecting, some saved state in the persistent storage in the HD DVD drive.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:31 AM

Thanks guys, deleting the unknown files fixed it. One more question though. How do I use the web enabled features (the download center) on the Xbox? I click it and it tells me to enable my player to go online. I have the option enabled and I am connected to Xbox Live but it still tells me to go enable the option and restart my player.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrok3k View Post
Thanks guys, deleting the unknown files fixed it. One more question though. How do I use the web enabled features (the download center) on the Xbox? I click it and it tells me to enable my player to go online. I have the option enabled and I am connected to Xbox Live but it still tells me to go enable the option and restart my player.
Hmm, I don't know. I have the 360 add-on, but I have always only used online features on my Toshiba A1 (other than to download updates for my 360) - I did not know it needed to be specifically enabled on the 360...
Old 09-09-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrok3k View Post
I'm trying to play the 2nd disc of Heroes. I put it in the Xbox 360's HD DVD drive, it reads it, it starts up and goes to a black screen and then goes back to the dashboard without giving any error message. The other discs work fine and this one has played before. Before this started happening it was loading and then going to a "Loading" screen which would eventually update to include a "Cancel" button that did nothing and now the disc doesn't play at all.

I'm having exactly the same issue. I just want to watch the wretched disc NOT have stupid web gimmicks immediately go into Loading mode that ask me to accept a cookie and then sit there for 5 minutes with an animaged gif that eventually just freezes and from then on locks up my PC.

I haven't watched any special features and this happened as soon as I inserted the second disc.

Tried following the instructions above but my Settings blade makes no mention of the HD-DVD drive and I can see no way of deleting any "unknown" files.

All-in-all I wish HD-DVD would stop these ridiculous gimmicks that nobody wants and just give me a disc that I can insert and it plays. That's all I or 99.99% of the public want.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:42 AM

SOrry, its in the "System" Blade, and then click on "Memory" and then on the HD-DVD drive
Old 09-09-2007, 02:28 PM

I just finished watching the whole second disc and never had a single problem.
HD A1 here.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limelight_df View Post
SOrry, its in the "System" Blade, and then click on "Memory" and then on the HD-DVD drive
Yup - had found it eventually. Together with 21 "Unknown" files, one or two of different lengths. Deleted all of them so hope I haven't unintentionally deleted some system updates. Disk 2 eventually gave me back the "Loading..." screen which completed OK. All it seems to be needed for is some dumb stupid generic test. What a complete waste of time. At least the disk plays OK now.

The insistence on downloading web content before allowing the disk to play seems to be a unique feature of the XBox 360, or maybe the Toshiba A1 just doesn't support web features (which is a nice feature in and of its own right).