Last Samurai - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-08-2007, 10:54 PM

Smile Last Samurai

Hi folks,

I just bought the Toshiba A2 and it seems to be a pretty solid player so far.

I only have the Last Samurai as HD DVD and I would like to know something from all owner of that movie.

I am talking about thescene where Tom Cruise is on the ship to go to Japan (around 11 minutes into the movie), when he his looking at himself in the mirror.

Do anyone else see what seems to be dark compression artefacts in that scene? Am I am the only one seeing this? If not, does this still happen a lot in HD DVD? It was one of the reasons I wanted to upgrade from DVD but I hope this is an exception.

By the way, my contrast and brightness are not high at all in case you are wondering.

Any comments from the people on these boards would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-09-2007, 06:46 PM

I havent noticed anything, but I will watch that part tonight, and keep an eye out. I'll let you know
Old 01-09-2007, 09:35 PM

I'll have to agree with you, the black in that scene is not very good. The rest of the movie looks fantastic.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:02 PM

thanks a lot for the interest guys.

I was starting to wonder if the problem is my TV.

I see a lot of artefacts in that scene...like snow on the black background.

aglowlight, did you check the scene right before the ninja attack....with the masked actors....the black in that scene is atrocious as well...on my setup anyway.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:28 AM

I am getting the same thing. Not just you.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:54 AM

thanks a lot for the replys guys.

Because I could not believe that HD DVDs would still have this kind of image problems, I went to work on finding out what is wrong with my TV. (Toshiba 65 inch CRT tv)

Having played with all the normal settings and not getting the issue fixed, I found the answer in the service menu. I changed one of the values inside there that fixed all my black images isssues.

Not my blacks are pure blacks and even on the scenes I talked about before I can't see much problem anymore.

So glad this is fixed because it was plaging my normal DVDs as well. I was not getting good blacks on a CRT which is not normal.

anyway thanks a lot for the help
Old 08-31-2009, 01:22 AM

Default The Last Samurai HD-DVD

Tonight's high def viewing was the HD-DVD of "The Last Samurai". This is an excellent film and excellent HD title presentation. There are surely newer title releases that will offer more impressive eye popping video, but I found this to be very natural, realistic and film like from both a pq and aq perspective - and I mean that to be complimentary. I hesitate to comment on how much of an upgrade over the DVD it is since I have not compared them side by side and I haven't watched my DVD of this title in a long time, but if memory serves at all, this is definitely an upgrade..
According to the reviewer of the blu-ray of this title, they are pretty much identical in either format, so grab whichever works best for you.