Whats the deal with the Weinstein Company? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-28-2007, 11:50 AM

Default Whats the deal with the Weinstein Company?

I have noticed that they have not released movies or announced future releases for HD-DVD (please correct if I am wrong).

Does this mean that they are going format-neutral, Blu-Ray only, prepping their HD-DVD releases for the holiday season?

Its a bummer because they make decent movies and it would be a shame not to be released on HD DVD.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:19 PM

I’m a bit upset with them as well. I could be wrong, but have been wondering if it has something to do with the Blockbuster thing, since Blockbuster has exclusive rental rights to Weinstein titles and they are BD only in 1000+ stores.... Of course this could all change with Paramount’s HD DVD only shift.... Isn't Paramount and Blockbuster owned by Viacom?
Old 08-28-2007, 12:27 PM

Weinstein titles have had A LOT of troubleshooting issues in the past with not working correctly, so it could be that they are just trying to work some kinks too. But yes, they have been very disappointing. It would not surprise me if they go neutral going along with the rumors, but at this point, they have done little to nothing claiming themselves as a major player in this war. Its unfortuante too, they really do have some decent movies.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:36 PM

Hopefully they get their act together.

Should be very interesting around the time Grindhouse is released.

I am hoping that with their recent release of a special edition of"Hardboiled," it would eventually come to HD DVD.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:50 PM

I've heard that "Grindhouse" might be Blu-Ray only. Waiting for word on this. I think Weinstein is DEFINITELY going to announce neutrality soon. Many have claimed it's a done deal. We'll see.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
I've heard that "Grindhouse" might be Blu-Ray only. Waiting for word on this. I think Weinstein is DEFINITELY going to announce neutrality soon. Many have claimed it's a done deal. We'll see.
Now thats a drag. If Weinstein goes neutral, should be fair that Lionsgate goes neutral too.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchtower41 View Post
Weinstein titles have had A LOT of troubleshooting issues in the past with not working correctly, so it could be that they are just trying to work some kinks too. But yes, they have been very disappointing. It would not surprise me if they go neutral going along with the rumors, but at this point, they have done little to nothing claiming themselves as a major player in this war. Its unfortuante too, they really do have some decent movies.
It seems a bit contradictory though. If they're having so many technical problems, why would they complicate matters even further by going neutral?
Old 08-28-2007, 01:09 PM
Banned

I would think if they go neutral then they won't announce until the problems have been taken care of.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:07 PM

Rumours are circling that they have gone blu-ray exclusive. I hope not, but stranger things have happened.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
Rumours are circling that they have gone blu-ray exclusive. I hope not, but stranger things have happened.
Well, this means I need to go on the hunt for The Matador and Lucky Number Slevin sometime next month.