Anyone else change their mind and cancel Heroes order? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-27-2007, 10:30 PM

Default Anyone else change their mind and cancel Heroes order?

I did.

I had this on pre-order from Amazon, but then I started to see several moderately negative reviews regarding picture quality. Perhaps "moderately negative" is too strong a phrase. Perhaps "inconsistent" is a better word. At any rate, I was hoping for great PQ and a lossless audio track, which this title doesn't seem to have.

I couldn't get into this show when it was on TV, but I really wanted to give it a shot in HD. I'm starving for good HD content now. In addition, I want to support the HD DVD format, but I just can't bring myself to do it for a series that I didn't really like when it was on and for a DVD with average picture quality.

Am I asking too much? Does anyone else feel this way?

Seeking affirmation,

DM
Old 08-27-2007, 10:46 PM

No, it still sounds like it has excellent PQ overall. Even if the reviews does not think it is reference quality, they do indicate that it is more than acceptable. I am sure it is a beautiful release (I should be getting mine tomorrow).
Old 08-27-2007, 10:57 PM

It's just a tv show after all so pq won't be fabulous.I won't buy anything i didn't care for just because it's hd .
HD doesn't change the plot.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:07 PM

Not trying to be a dick, but did this really need its own thread? Why couldn't this have been posted in the heroes thread?
Old 08-27-2007, 11:11 PM

I cancelled my pre-order (after debating back and forth) because of the price. It's the same reason I'm not getting LOST season 3 in HD either. I love HD but I just can't jusify the huge pricetag for many of the releases. Matrix and Star Trek are other examples of "tooo expensive for me" also.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:18 PM
Special Member

What you have to remember is that all reviews are subjective. If you dont know the reviews setup then you never really know what kind of experience they are having in the 1st place. Personally, if it is better then the SD release (which I am sure it is) then it would be worth it for me. I am looking forward to seeing this hopefully soon.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:24 PM
Former Member

I was considering the title at one point, and even had enough credit at FYE to cover it. But I decided that I'm not going to pay that much for any title right now, hd or otherwise. I have a difficult time watching 1 hour long episode shows, as well, so this would be REALLY hit or miss with me.

I may give the dvd a try, most stores are advertising it in the mid 30 range. But double the price? I'd rather get Blades of Glory on dvd or HDDVD for the price difference
Old 08-28-2007, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMaustus View Post
I did.

I had this on pre-order from Amazon, but then I started to see several moderately negative reviews regarding picture quality. Perhaps "moderately negative" is too strong a phrase. Perhaps "inconsistent" is a better word. At any rate, I was hoping for great PQ and a lossless audio track, which this title doesn't seem to have.

I couldn't get into this show when it was on TV, but I really wanted to give it a shot in HD. I'm starving for good HD content now. In addition, I want to support the HD DVD format, but I just can't bring myself to do it for a series that I didn't really like when it was on and for a DVD with average picture quality.

Am I asking too much? Does anyone else feel this way?

Seeking affirmation,

DM
Nope as a matter of fact I ended up buying another one for part of my sisters 36th B-Day coming up next weekend. As for the picture quality comments every review I have read has stated that the picture quality is very good with a few problematic scenes that conatin excessive noise and some scenes have poor shadow detail. As I have said before regarding this, a 24 hour series that has a few noisy scenes isnt going to lower my enjoyment by a single bit. 99.9% of the time the picture quality is going to be far better than the broadcast quality HD. Combine that with the absolute plethora of HD extras and the fact that I loved the show and it was a no brainer to purchase this.

As for the price, I think 50-60 bucks is perfectly reasonable for a full season on HD especially when they put as much effort into the set as they did with this one. Individual HD films are ranging from 18-27 bucks on Amazon and that is for 2 hours of entertainment + xtras if there are any. This is 24 hours of entertainment + a ton of extras and its roughly 2-3 times the price of individual titles and again that is perfectly reasonable to me. People need to just get used to the fact that HD is more expensive. You knew it was going to be since day 1 and the fact that we are still roughly just past the 1 year mark means this is still new technology. If prices are too high for people then just stick with SD DVD.

Heroes was the best show on TV last year hands down so getting the best new show on TV in HD for 60 bucks and some change is again a perfectly reasonable price IMO.

Last edited by HomeTheatreFreak; 08-28-2007 at 01:42 AM.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:35 AM

Was thinking $69.99 was a bit steep but I kept my order & its on route now. Not a bad deal ($10/disc) Another HD first I think. 7-disc set?
Old 08-28-2007, 08:34 AM

i was thinking the same thing 20 hours of superhero hd action at my pace. i can usally watch a tv series 2 times.....plus ali in hd....nice...plus no comericals...and i never got the chance to watch during first airing..so heros episode after episode no week waiting for next show....is totally worth $69