Replication Costs, WOW! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-22-2007, 06:20 PM

Default Replication Costs, WOW!

I just read a thread over at AVS regarding the price for replication and I was blown away. I was under the impression that the difference in pricing for the discs was minimal however that minimal becomes very substantial when you start replicating large numbers. I guess I Was wrong because according to these figures its alot more than I initally thought.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=894641

Quote:
Once of Paramount's foundation for announcing the dropping of Blu-ray Support and go HD DVD exclusive, replication cost.

according to the official quote:

A Single layer 25GB Blu-ray disk = $2.95
A double layer 30GB HD DVD = $2.09 (almost a $1 cheaper)

Guess there is some weight to Paramounts decisions.

Last edited by HomeTheatreFreak; 08-22-2007 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:23 PM

GOOD FIND! More space for a cheaper cost
Old 08-22-2007, 06:27 PM

And apparently a lot harder to get BD50s (which means that they are also likely a lot more expensive), most replicators don't even offer them which is why you don;t see it listed in the table above.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
And apparently a lot harder to get BD50s (which means that they are also likely a lot more expensive), most replicators don't even offer them which is why you don;t see it listed in the table above.
Yeah and te funny thing is, and this is overlooked by alot of people, most of the films released on BD are released on BD25 discs which means that the majority of films released on HD DVD are actually on larger discs than thier BD counterparts. Kinda funny considering everyone associates BD as having more space avilable.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:32 PM

yah i always noticed that, they have a max capacity of 50 gb, but what movies come out on it? Butt Pirates of the Caribean?
Old 08-22-2007, 06:36 PM

Sarcasm warning

So for a movie like 300:

200,000 sold on BD at $3 profit = $600,000 profit
100,000 sold on HD DVD at $5 profit = $500,000 profit

Makes perfect sense to me now

Edit... Forgot my sarcasm warning...
Edit again... 300 was on a BD50... add another $1 difference in manufacturing price ???
Edit... take 3... Any idea what a combo disk costs? that could also affect my above scenario since 300 HD DVD was a combo.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vooswing View Post
Sarcasm warning

So for a movie like 300:

200,000 sold on BD at $4 profit = $800,000 profit
100,000 sold on HD DVD at $5 profit = $500,000 profit

Makes perfect sense to me now

Edit... Forgot my sarcasm warning...

No actually if you click on the 2nd link in my post youll see that the dollar difference is for replication runs of 1000 or less and the price difference goes down the bigger the run size. I was still blown away because the price difference on the larger runs is still significantly less expensive than I though it was.

However this brings up a very important aspect for the independent pictures that HDDVD has said to be focusing on. Those people would without a doubt do smaller runs because they dont have the kind of cash the major studios do. This without a single doubt shows how signifcant of a price advantage HD DVDhas in these areas over BD and how this could literally save the smaller comapnies hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Again this just blew me away because I really didnt have any idea the price differences were this high. I was under the impression you had to have very large runs for the price difference to really have any effect and that is very far from being true.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeTheatreFreak View Post
No actually if you click on the 2nd link in my post youll see that the dollar difference is for replication runs of 1000 or less and the price difference goes down the bigger the run size. I was still blown away because the price difference on the larger runs is still significantly less expensive than I though it was.
I just noticed that... I would guess that most or the day and date releases are pressing closer to 100,000 copies so it makes the price advantage null. It's still interesting info though.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:04 PM

Vooswing you are now seeming to be one of the more balanced BR backers. Kudos friend! Also voo consider this could be good incentive for Warner and others NOT to put certain catalog titles out on BR or delay them. I mean the replication costs combined with the overall age demographic of the PS3 is enough encouragement for Warner. Consider "Casablanca", "Forbidden Planet", the Hitchcock films, etc.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeTheatreFreak View Post
Yeah and te funny thing is, and this is overlooked by alot of people, most of the films released on BD are released on BD25 discs which means that the majority of films released on HD DVD are actually on larger discs than thier BD counterparts. Kinda funny considering everyone associates BD as having more space avilable.
Incorrect. The initial releases may have been single layer BD discs, but all of the Sony and Disney releases have been dual layer for quite some time. I think the Fox releases to this point have been Single layer, but they haven't put out a new title in what seems like ages, and with their recent announcement, we won't know if they'll follow Sony and Disney's lead or do what they did before until those releases actually happen.

Quote:
However this brings up a very important aspect for the independent pictures that HDDVD has said to be focusing on. Those people would without a doubt do smaller runs because they dont have the kind of cash the major studios do. This without a single doubt shows how signifcant of a price advantage HD DVDhas in these areas over BD and how this could literally save the smaller comapnies hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Again, perspective. If we make only 1000 units, the cost difference for replication is $1000, but if we make 10000, it's only $400. If a company can only sell 1000 units of its title, how significant is that studio in the grand scope of things? If I'm going to war against real soldiers, do I care that I can recruit 100 grade school kids to come fight alongside my soldiers?