Off the top of your head: Your top 5 "reference quality" HD-DVDs - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-21-2007, 05:02 AM

Default Off the top of your head: Your top 5 "reference quality" HD-DVDs

I would like to see everyones top 5. But this is a bit different "top 5 ref quality HD DVDs." Your top 5 will be discs that you feel are the complete package - from the video, to the audio, to the movie itself. And obviously these would be movies that you would watch over and over again. For instance, IMO King Kong is one of the best ref. quality discs, but the movie itself isnt the best...so to me, its not a movie I would watch over and over again.

Heres mine (in random order)

300 - as overhyped as it is, its still a sick transfer...maybe even the best.
Blood Diamond - underrated with an amazing audio transfer and touching story.
Hot Fuzz - it wont keep you on the edge of your seat, but an incredible overall package.
The Matrix (1st) - this is the matrix, who doesnt love it!
Children of Men - one of the powerful movies ever with a stunning transfer.

HM: the Departed, M.I.3

Last edited by SweetBrownsugar; 08-21-2007 at 05:17 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:52 AM

Shooter - just a kick ass movie and great transfer and sound

Disturbia - ok the PQ ain't that great but everytime i show it everybody really likes it and i enjoy watching it over and over, its just a fun movie with a good transfer

M:i:III - Great action, amazing sound and PQ - great reference material

The Prestige (UK import) - very fun movie to watch again and again and the transfer is 5 star!

Hot Fuzz - great action, lots of laughs, great PQ, and sound - best disc out right now according to most reviews and never-ending special features!
Old 08-21-2007, 06:27 AM

Mulholland Drive (French) - Most re-watchable movie ever, Great video transfer, even if the sound has the "pitch glitch" (which isn't that big of a deal for me)

Terminator 2 (French) - The movie for me, The audio and video transfer is great and the "Special Edition" Cut makes it even better

300 - Don't like the movie that much, but the Quality of this HD DVD is simply amazing

Hot Fuzz (US) - Fun movie with many(!) specials.

Matrix (US) - Matrix + Good transfer + Specials = Great disc
Old 08-21-2007, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBrownsugar View Post

Heres mine (in random order)

300 - as overhyped as it is, its still a sick transfer...maybe even the best.
Blood Diamond - underrated with an amazing audio transfer and touching story.
Hot Fuzz - it wont keep you on the edge of your seat, but an incredible overall package.
The Matrix (1st) - this is the matrix, who doesnt love it!
Children of Men - one of the powerful movies ever with a stunning transfer.

HM: the Departed, M.I.3
All of thoese are great however I'll toss some out there that arent so well know.

THE PRESTIGE (UK HD DVD RELEASE) - As other has put it, its great movie, great little mystery, with a great cast. Looking just as good as it's brother on Blue ray the picture quality is amazying. Also Scarlett Johansson in HD, enough said.

UNDERWORLD: EVOLUTION (SPANISH HD DVD RELEASE) - Kate Beckinsale in skin tight black leather kicking ass in a gorer, little bit more action packed sequel to a fun movie. Picture quality is amazying for a dark movie, excelent transfer and looks just as good as its blu conter part.

THE ISLAND (UK HD DVD RELEASE) - Call me what you will, but next to Transformers this is one of michael bays best movie. With one of the most impressive and detailed transferes I've seen on HD DVD to date. The colours are rich full, stylized with out robbing them of a natural feel. The HD dvd is light on extra's but this was a must for me, the picture quality is breathe taking. Also Scarlett Johansson in HD, enough said.

Batman Begins - Batman goes back to his roots in this movie and becomes cool again with out have to resort to campy tricks. With a great transfer, matched with great audio, on a great movie, this was the First HD DVD i bought and regret it not.

Kiss kiss bang bang - This movie is amazying just for the banter between Val Kilmer and Robert Downey Jr alone. Amazying colour ranges in this movie, while not as impressive as some of the movies mention has alot of fun and heart which makes it just plain awesome. Also Michelle Monaghan has amazying legs, amazying legs in HD...
Old 08-21-2007, 08:19 AM

The Bourne Identity - not everyone's cup of tea, but I personally love the gritty transfer. The bitter European locations look stunning.

The Last Samurai - has a bit of everything PQ wise. I love the film too, one of the only two films I like (the other being the now HD exclusive Collateral) that Cruise has done.

Serenity - I don't really need to back this up.

Dawn Of The Dead - recent addition, but immediately a referecne disk for me. Immensely re-watchable film too.

The Departed - beautiful film, beautiful transfer.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:00 AM

Not surprised Warner Bros. took the Top 5. Reference, DOLBY TrueHD and IME. I based it on the Film itself first.

Training Day. One of my All-Time favorites, clearly Denzel Washington's best work. I'm very happy he got Best Actor (Oscar).

The Departed. Scorsese at his finest. One of the Best Cast films out there with Nicholson, DiCaprio, Damon and Walhberg.

The Matrix. What is the Matrix? LOL

Batman Begins. Christopher Nolan (Director) changed and showed what Batman should've been from the beginning.

V for Vendetta. This was Blind Buy and clearly far better than I expected.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:09 AM

1.King Kong
2.Batman Begins.
3.Matador
4.Corpse Bride
5.Black Snake Moan
Old 08-21-2007, 10:32 AM

1. TMNT
2. Shooter
3. King Kong
4. Matrix
5. Children of Men
Old 08-21-2007, 10:35 AM

1.TMNT
2.Batman Begins
3.Matrix Reloaded
4.2Fast 2Furious
5.Goodfellas
-Great PQ
Old 08-21-2007, 10:49 AM

1.TMNt> Amazing, the best PQ - Rooftop scene Tier 0
2. BATMAN BEGINS- The one movie still playing in almost all Hd dvd displays at stores....that speaks enough for this one.
3. HULK- still getting into this one, only watched a few scenes Great
4. BREACH - Really surprised the heck out of me, good movie and transfer
5. KING KONG- all around great