Lobbying the studios to release their titles on the opposing format of their choice - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-17-2007, 04:36 PM

Question Lobbying the studios to release their titles on the opposing format

Are there any groups out there lobbying the studios to release their titles on the opposing format? I would join in a heart beat!

I would love to see Disney titles released on HD DVD.

JAC

Last edited by JAC35; 08-17-2007 at 04:42 PM. Reason: sounded dumb
Old 08-17-2007, 04:38 PM

But almost all the hi-def movies are already available in one format.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC35 View Post
Are there any groups out there lobbying the studios to release their titles on the opposing format? I would join in a heart beat!

I would love to see Disney titles released on HD DVD.

JAC
Yes, of course there are, but the biggest factor will be the expanding market penetration of each platform. Of all the studios, I think Disney, Weinstein, and Lionsgate are the most likely to go neutral first - however I would not put a timeframe to any such thing.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:41 PM

Default Lobbying Disney

I was on the Disney site the other day and found a way to give them some feedback. If you go to
h**p://home.disney.go.com/movies/ and click on the on DVD & Blu-ray tab and then the get more info link button beside a title you are interested in. The title I chose was Roving Mars. At the bottom of the page, there is a questions link. It opens up a pop-up window where you can give them feedback. Here is the feedback I sent them.

Subject: this title on HD DVD

Hi,

I would like to request that this title be made available on HD DVD. As soon as it becomes available, I would like to be notified so that I may purchase it.

Thank you

Iím hoping this will send a message to Disney that there are people out there with HD DVD gear and we want their titles released for it!

It couldn't hurt could it?
Old 08-17-2007, 05:01 PM

I don't think Disney would ever go HD DVD unless Blu Ray was at Death's Doorstep because HD DVD is region free and does not have such tight restrictions and region coding/compatibility issues that Blu Ray does. Disney wouldn't be able to have such tight control over their movies as they like to have. They are launching that Blu Ray Mall Tour, so they are deep in bed with Blu Ray for the forseeable future.

I'd love to see their movies on HD DVD, but I just don't think it will ever happen anytime soon.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkharteric View Post
I don't think Disney would ever go HD DVD unless Blu Ray was at Death's Doorstep because HD DVD is region free and does not have such tight restrictions and region coding/compatibility issues that Blu Ray does. Disney wouldn't be able to have such tight control over their movies as they like to have. They are launching that Blu Ray Mall Tour, so they are deep in bed with Blu Ray for the forseeable future.

I'd love to see their movies on HD DVD, but I just don't think it will ever happen anytime soon.
Actually, I am not so sure. Disney had worked pretty strongly with Toshiba and MS and helped decide the specifications. HDi was actually driven largely by Disneys desire for interactivity. HD insiders had made it clear that they probably would have included region coding if that was the deal breaker with Disney, but while they like Region Coding, from the sounds of it it is not a must have for them.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:56 PM

Well what about going to the link and sending them a message anyway?
Old 08-17-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC35 View Post
Well what about going to the link and sending them a message anyway?
I already did in response to an organized campaign to do so many months ago.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:47 PM

Are there any more of those type of campaigns going on now? We should start some or join others thare are already doing them.