'Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics' -- pre-release buzz - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-16-2007, 04:41 PM
PeterB

Default 'Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics' -- pre-release buzz

Joe Kane is doing it again, bringing a new version of 'Digital Video Essentials' to HD DVD, called 'HD Basics':

http://hddvd.highdigest.com/digitalv..._hdbasics.html

It will include calibration tools both for the beginning and advanced users, plus a new audio commentary with Kane and cinematographer Allen Daviau with even more guidance.

Street date is October 30, and retail price $29.98.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:02 PM

I wonder if this contains all the content from "Digital Video Essentials"? It kind of sounds like it might, along with more basic level tutorials as well. That kind of bothers me since then I would rather have waited for this rather than buying the original, if only to have the more complete edition.

Likely this won't sell nearly as well as the Blu-ray since so many HD DVD people have already bought the original.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:36 PM

woohoo, about time!
Old 08-16-2007, 06:55 PM

I wonder how much of a discount there will be for owners of the original?
Old 08-16-2007, 07:14 PM

What I didn't like about the original was if you were new to DVE, you basically had to watch the SDVD side first to learn the basics and then flip over to the HD DVD to calibrate.

I wonder if he got a lot of negative feedback or something, or realizes that now that gaming machines are involved a lot younger audience is involved now and will need a more basic version.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:47 PM

I heard that there will be a discount offered to owners of the HDDVD DVE disc who want to upgrade. True or false?
Old 08-16-2007, 09:41 PM

I hope there is a discount. Having only used Avia in the past, I was somewhat confused by my HD DVE, which was really a waste of money for me. I only changed one setting on the projector and barely at that.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:06 PM

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I ended up reading the instructions on the website and playing the test pattern files individually right off the disc. I had the Video Essentials laserdisc, and it was really easy and useful. The HD-DVD version left a lot to be desired.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:55 PM

Question... seeing as this is just a "set-up" disc, does it realy make a difference if you had a DVD only version? I see there is a DVD titled Avia, would it work just as well? I'm just wondering because I had seen this around and have allways been on the fence about getting a copy. Looks like the "basics" edition has a lower MSRP, so are they dropping the combo format in favor of a straight UP HD DVD? I would think that for the money spent, this is a title that would be good to have as a combo. Maybe take it with you for friends and family to calibrate thier systems too? If the new one isn't a combo, would a person be better off buying the existing version that is?
Old 08-18-2007, 11:13 AM
Retired HD DVD/Microsoft Insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinime View Post
Question... seeing as this is just a "set-up" disc, does it realy make a difference if you had a DVD only version?
Yes it would. Both your TV and your DVD player act different if they are playing a SD DVD vs HD DVD. The color space is different as are other differences (some of which are unknown and hence the reason for a test disc).

Quote:
I see there is a DVD titled Avia, would it work just as well? I'm just wondering because I had seen this around and have allways been on the fence about getting a copy. Looks like the "basics" edition has a lower MSRP, so are they dropping the combo format in favor of a straight UP HD DVD? I would think that for the money spent, this is a title that would be good to have as a combo. Maybe take it with you for friends and family to calibrate thier systems too? If the new one isn't a combo, would a person be better off buying the existing version that is?
The basic version is definitely more user friendly and highly recommended for people are not experts at this sort of thing.