HD-DVD 300 pip looks better then the regular movie. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Banned

Default HD-DVD 300 pip looks better then the regular movie.

Ok I for the first time used the pip in my 300 Xbox 360 add on ( Thanks to a Blu-Ray fan talking trash that my LG couldn't do pip for my 300 movie haha) I had never used the pip for 300 and I must say wow! Is it in HD too? It looks amazing and I really wish the movie actors looked like that in the movie without all the grain. Cause when you look at the pip and then then the real movie the grain makes it looks sort of crappy. I wish the grain was gone. When I first seen the grain I thought my player was messing up and then I put it in my add on and the same thing, I had to read it on the internet to know it was supposed to look like that. Do you guys think it adds to the movie or do you wish you could be able to make it look like the pip without the grain. Damn the pip looks amazing, to bad the affects aren't on it.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:47 PM

I love the grain. I thought the movie has a great visual style. You have to remember, the PiP also looks super clear because it's much smaller than the HD image. Lowering the resolution on an image tends to hide small details (or imperfections, as you would call it) like that.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Banned

That is true. I mean I love the grain and the comic feel to the movie, I mean I freaking love this movie but I was so used to clean crystal faces and such and it was sort of hard to get used to with the movie. I failed to see the movie in the theater and the HD-DVD version was my first viewing of the movie.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:24 PM

I didn't see it in the thearter also and watched a bad burned copy and then i got it the day it came out and to my blissfull eye a tear fell. The Video aside i still feel the TrueHD audio stood out for me. It was amazing. Eventhough i have the 360 add on it pumped out the audio when i switched it to TrueHd and my ears were ringing man...Love that movie...Sin City would be awesome too...
Old 08-12-2007, 05:45 PM

I saw 300 in the theater and the HDDVD is true to what I saw so...

I liked the movie and didn't find the grain distracting. It was Miller, Snyder and the DP's choice to film it this way. Grain (natural or artificial) doesn't bother me one bit. Especially in this case when it was the Directors choice to make it look that way.

That being said 300 isn't my favorite movie to show people when I demo my setup - too many, "Why does it have those little specks everywhere." or "What's up with the grain dude. That certainly doesn't look high def to me."
Old 08-12-2007, 05:49 PM

You Want a DEMO get TNMT and go to the Roof Top Scene...That is Demo Material.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:22 PM
Banned

I hear ya, I showed my friends 300 before I had even seen it and when I seen the grain I got embarrassed cause I thought my player was messing up or didn't have the right update or something. It does look amazing! Is the truehd audio better on the Xbox 360 addon? I never even thought of changing the audio, how much of a difference. What black level do you have your xbox 360 set on? I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to setting my players up the right way.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:49 PM

My girlfriend said the same thing... she said that the guys looked less threatening because they have smoother and clearer skin....
Old 08-12-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago View Post
My girlfriend said the same thing... she said that the guys looked less threatening because they have smoother and clearer skin....
Heh heh...
Old 08-13-2007, 11:39 AM

The problem with 300 is that the grain was intentional...... So no matter what technology becomes available 300 will never have the grain removed - unless you can find a VHS copy somewhere or use a standard video cable (single yellow cable) to hook up your DVD/HD DVD player to your TV. It's supposed to look that way.

As far as demo material goes…..

Disturbia was awesome in the opening scenes (fishing) and when the main character is being a perv looking at his new neighbor.

TMNT was great for showing off CGI.

Freedom Vol 1 for showing off PiP features (you can move the PiP, resize it and change it’s opacity making it more or less see through as you see fit.)

Chronicles of Riddick for showing off special effects

Blood Diamond / Departed great PQ in general.

Underworld: Evolution for showing off availability of BD exclusives to HD DVD.