MPC player - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-17-2016, 09:02 PM

Default MPC player

Has anyone tried playing HD DVD files (.evo) on this player. I just tried a movie and this thing works! It won't play it as a disc, or even from a folder. But if you select file-->open file, then go into the HVDVD_TS folder and select the first evo file, then it will play. Most movies from the major studios are broken into 2 evo files, so you'll have to play one and then the other. LMK if it works for you.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:49 AM

Many times. Its what I used to play HD DVD back in the day. Ripped Blu-rays as well.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
Many times. Its what I used to play HD DVD back in the day. Ripped Blu-rays as well.
Did you have to play it as an .evo file back in the day as well? Or could you play it as a disc?

I wonder what other programs will play evo files.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Did you have to play it as an .evo file back in the day as well? Or could you play it as a disc?

I wonder what other programs will play evo files.
I always ripped my discs to the HD. Its why I used MPC-HC. To avoid discs.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I always ripped my discs to the HD. Its why I used MPC-HC. To avoid discs.
How did you save the discs? Just the movie using a different container, the same container (evo), or as an iso?

I have all the Warner discs saved as isos, but I need to back them up again on BD-r discs because the hard drive will eventually fail (I think BD-r's will last longer, won't they?)
Old 02-18-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
How did you save the discs? Just the movie using a different container, the same container (evo), or as an iso?

I have all the Warner discs saved as isos, but I need to back them up again on BD-r discs because the hard drive will eventually fail (I think BD-r's will last longer, won't they?)
I just ripped them using MakeMKV....Saved just the main video and highest quality audio. Then you can burn or back up to any media. I avoided ISO's so I could avoid the need for a player that played discs..which at the time was PowerDVD (yuck).
Old 02-18-2016, 03:04 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Just like Fav, MPC-HC is the one I use mostly. It will play pretty much anything you throw at it. I was surprised to see it even play .SWF files.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I just ripped them using MakeMKV....Saved just the main video and highest quality audio. Then you can burn or back up to any media. I avoided ISO's so I could avoid the need for a player that played discs..which at the time was PowerDVD (yuck).
Oh, so you remuxed it into a different format. Well I was referring to playing actual HD DVD evo files. Very few players can still do that I suppose. Most people won't be so keen on remuxing but it's relatively easy to just pop the disc into an HD DVD player connected to a PC and accessing the evo file(s). The only downside is that many movies have more than one movie file (usually two).

I use TMT 5 for HD DVD so I can access menu and extras and I play isos as well as discs, but I thought it's interesting to run across a program that stills plays HD DVD (although in a limited capacity). I just run across this program yesterday.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:43 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
I use TMT 5 for HD DVD so I can access menu and extras and I play isos as well as discs, but I thought it's interesting to run across a program that stills plays HD DVD (although in a limited capacity). I just run across this program yesterday.
Sire you've been missing out so welcome to the club!

I used to use XP Codec Pack (now called X-Codec Pack) and MPC was a big pull. Now I use K-Lite codec pack instead which includes MPC-HC. Even if you don't use the codecs, K-Lite has a nifty Thumbnail Extension utility that removes the film reel from your thumbnails and will also give previews to many other formats that Windows alone will not.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:37 PM

For me it's nice because it seems TMT5 doesn't like to play Blu-ray (at least the couple I tried), but mainly because it'll play HD DVDs, which will be useful in case TMT5 doesn't want to play an HD DVD iso or file. It's a backup software player basically, with the advantage that it's not 8 year old software like TMT5 and is being kept up to date. Fortunately TMT5 works in Windows 10 and plays like a charm on a high res monitor (5K in my case). Just didn't want to play a few Blu-rays.