Cinram HD DVD demo discs - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-05-2012, 01:23 AM

Default Cinram HD DVD demo discs

Hello again

today I like to show you two demo discs from cinram.
There is no content on the discs.
Here comes the first:

Here some information about the second one:

"The discs is very unique due to the labeling. Instead of having the label printed on with ink, the label was recorded into the stamper using a Laser Recorder and then molded into the disc."

Old 12-05-2012, 03:21 AM

Great find Marco!

Important question: does it make sense to add them to Bruce Ames Master-List because of the missing content?

This is like getting a Christmas gift but there is no gift in the package :wink:
Old 12-05-2012, 07:00 AM

Maybe we need two new categories.

1.Sample discs or disc demos or however named; I am sure there are many more discs like these two out there. And of course I try to find them :drool03:

2.check discs; like you know I am going to show some the next few days

This would be my suggestion. I hope this makes sense.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:21 AM

How does one know if these are demo blank discs or blank discs that were sold to the public at one time?
Old 12-09-2012, 12:59 PM

Blank discs that were sold are 15 GB or 30GB HD DVD-R.
You can alway find "HD DVD-R" or "Recordable" on these discs.
Here an example from Verbatim:

The Cinram discs are pressed HD DVDs without content. As far as I know those sample discs were shown at exhibitions like Cedia, IFA, CEATEC,...
Old 12-09-2012, 05:12 PM

Marco, I agree, your Cinram blank HD DVD is different to an "usual" blank HD DVD. Still, I am not sure if it should be listed at Bruce master list without any content.

What do the other collectors think?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:38 PM

Here some information:
DC: These were "label art" samples and were not intended to be played in a player. The first disc had a label printed using conventional ink method. The second disc does not have a printed label, but instead the art work was mastered using the laser beam recorder to create a stamper, thus the art work was molded into the top piece of plastic. FYI, DVD and HD-DVD discs are made by bonding two pieces of molded plastic together, each disc is 0.6 mm thick, the combined disc is 1.2mm. The intended purpose of the second disc was twofold:

1. To show that label art could indeed be "printed" into the plastic to create added value and security.

2. Printing costs money per disc, for HD-DVD titles which only required 15 Gbytes, we could label them essentially for free!