Red HD DVD cases bleeding into artwork covers - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-19-2012, 09:54 PM

Red HD DVD cases bleeding into artwork covers

Hi there, I noticed this awhile ago but it seems more noticeable now but many of my HD DVDs, especially the European titles (primarily ones in the slim cases and not so much the ones in the fat cases) have the red of the HD DVD cases bleeding into the artwork covers. Generally (but not all) US and Japanese covers seem fine. It is really noticeable when the cover has a white background. I noticed these even in ones I have that are brand new factory sealed. I took a couple of pictures below to show what I mean. Have any others seen the same thing, any ideas what is causing this? Is it just crappy cases or is it just ambient humidity (I live in a very dry part of the country). I don't think there is anyway to undo or prevent the bleeding but would be good to know if there is something that can be done to slow down the process outside of removing the covers altogether.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:37 PM

I have this on my copy of Mr. and Mrs. Smith too (although more on the back cover). I haven't noticed this before, so thanks for the heads up. Comparing the inside texture of this case vs. Under Siege (which also has a white back cover), I noticed that the Polish case feels a lot slicker to the fingers.

Obviously the best solution is simply to swap out bad cases with good ones (that feel drier when rubbing your finger over it). There is hardly any difference between the cases anyway, and I've got 50 or 60 extra lying around.

Again, thanks for the discovery, I've already stopping the bleeding on the Smith case by swapping it out, and now I'm going to slowly work through the rest and check for more.