Jeff Putnam's Fly Fishing Schools HD DVD releases - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-07-2012, 12:45 PM

Default Jeff Putnam's Fly Fishing Schools HD DVD releases

Hi there!

After waiting about 2 months I have received some new discovered HD DVDs. Actually discovered again from logodaddy.

Anyway, I am talking about those three HD DVDs. Here the list:

Single-Handed Fly Rod Casting Using Spey Casting Techniques HD DVD
Spey Casting Instruction Volumes 1 & 2 Novice/ Intermediate HD DVD
Spey Casting Instruction Volume 3 Advanced HD DVD

All three HD DVDs were released in 2007, this is actually the ONLY reason why I wanted them. My player recognizes them as real HD DVDs, unfortunately they are "just" burned on DVD-R DL. All discs have English support. Codec MPEG2, there exists also a Main Menu on each disc. The content on all discs is not that thrilling :wink: Here some pictures:

For those who are crazy and have too much money, they are here available:

http://www.jpflyfishing.com/videos/HD-DVD_video.htm

I wouldn't collect them if they wouldn't have been released during the format war. This is the only reason why they are special to me. I am getting tired of all those crappy DVD-R releases, this was definitely not the sense of HD DVD....
Old 04-07-2012, 02:52 PM

Awesome Blerim. Thanks for the link, I decided to get the combo versions whenever possible. They're not cheap, the content is not interesting to me, and they are dvd-r's. But if they were released during (or right after) the format war, then I gotta have 'em.

BTW, I totally agree with you about the sense of HD DVD.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noibeli View Post
I am getting tired of all those crappy DVD-R releases, this was definitely not the sense of HD DVD....
+1........................
Old 04-11-2012, 09:46 AM

I got these in the mail yesterday. Unfortunately the only way for my computer to read them is through AnyDVDHD. 2 of them are read as DVD-ROM DL, and the other is a single layer DVD+R. The combo discs are actually one of those discs plus a DVD in a DVD case. I was sent the regular discs by mistake, and they are sending the others to me soon (just the case and the DVD, and not the HD DVD as well).

As is common with some of these discs, there are a lot of audio dropouts on my XA2, so I have to watch it in the BH200. The PQ is not very good, but is typical of HD DVD encodes on DVD media.

Blerim, do you have any way of reading the file creation/last modified dates on your computer? I'd like to know when these were made. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:53 PM

Bruce

I have tested all three discs on my XA2. The player recorgnized them all as real HD DVDs, all MPEG-2 codec. On the setup of my XA2 I have set the picture mode on AUTO, strangely all discs are not 1080i as mentioned on the covers, they are all 1080p. However, the PQ is bad :wink:

I didn't noticed any audio drop outs, even if I haven't watched them till the end, hehe. Anyway, all discs also worked on my PC by using PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra. Here the details:

Single Handed Fly Rod

Video_TS: 08.05.2006
HVDVD_TS: 09.09.2006
Standard menu with letters, nothing special - no pop up menu

Vol. 1 & 2

Video_TS: 08.05.2006
HVDVD_TS: 07.12.2007
Standard menu with letters, nothing special - no pop up menu

Vol. 3

Video_TS: 15.06.2006
HVDVD_TS: 15.06.2006
Advanced menu with four running videos on the menu - no pop up menu

To explain: 08.05.2006 means Mai the fifth 2006 :smile:

As you can see, all HVDVD_TS files have been created during the format war, that's why I wanted them.

Hope that helps Bruce.

Blerim

Last edited by Noibeli; 04-12-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:23 PM

Thanks Blerim. It's odd that my PCs can't read the files directly. I can burn them using AnyDVD but then the dates change to the burn date. I have the PowerDVD Ultra software lying around somewhere, I would be nice to have a backup software that plays HD DVD. TMT5 would not play it because the computer won't load the iso file.

Also odd that my XA2 has audio dropouts and yours doesn't. Maybe there's something it the audio settings I can adjust. I'll try them in my XA2 upstairs to see if it also has dropouts.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:14 AM

I moved the XA2 away from the receiver (so it doesn't get too hot) and now I'm not getting the audio dropouts.

Also compared the DVD versions and the HD DVDs, even though they don't look that great, have much better PQ than the DVDs.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
I moved the XA2 away from the receiver (so it doesn't get too hot) and now I'm not getting the audio dropouts.

Also compared the DVD versions and the HD DVDs, even though they don't look that great, have much better PQ than the DVDs.
Bruce, good to hear your sound issue is gone this way. I know, I have modified my XA2 Player some months ago, the fan controller works very good and the player is pretty much lower now but still, I had to move the player away from the receiver. Otherwise the player always turned off (heat issue).

Luckily I don't have a noisy player now, but damn, my Warner Discs don't work LOOOOOLLLLL!!!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noibeli View Post
Bruce, good to hear your sound issue is gone this way. I know, I have modified my XA2 Player some months ago, the fan controller works very good and the player is pretty much lower now but still, I had to move the player away from the receiver. Otherwise the player always turned off (heat issue).

Luckily I don't have a noisy player now, but damn, my Warner Discs don't work LOOOOOLLLLL!!!
Sorry to hear that Blerim. From reading about this issue here and elsewhere, it seems that a disproportionate share of bad discs are from the EU. I have burned isos of all my unsealed discs and only Superman Returns gave a read error (got another on its way). I have about 20 sealed discs to go so I'll let you know how that goes (it seems a sealed disc is more likely to give problems than one that has been opened and already played).