Watching non-English HD DVDs using external subs - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-04-2012, 12:05 AM

Default Watching non-English HD DVDs using external subs

I recently purchased Arcsoft Total Media theater for the PC to play my HD DVDs from the xbox HD DVD player, and I discovered that I can download subs for nearly any movie and thus watch HD DVDs I couldn't watch before. Of course, you need to back up the movie to your hard drive (I use AnyDVD ripper) and copy the sub file (.srt) into the same folder as the movie file (changing the name of the sub file to the same name as the movie file enables the sub file to load automatically).

Some of the movies had sub files that synced (4 of the 6 Les Gendarmes movies), and other didn't (Hero, Winx Club and the other 2 Gendarmes movies). Vexville didn't sync either but I used the program Subtitle Edit to tweak the whole set backwards 2 seconds and it now syncs fine. I'll probably either look for other sub files for those that don't sync, or I'll tweak the ones I found, but in any case my goal is to have a watchable HD DVD library for all my collection.

Anybody else watch non-English HD DVDs using external subs?
Old 03-04-2012, 05:14 AM

No but I'd like to learn how. I have TMT and AnyDVD HD. Where do you find the files? I'd like to watch Der Geist Von Mae Nak and Ran with English subs. Any subs available for the Russians?
Old 03-04-2012, 07:30 AM

search for "GHOST OF MAE NAK English subtitles"

or check www opensubtitles org
Old 03-04-2012, 10:26 AM

opensubtitles or allsubs are good places to find subs. Also it's easy just to google as noted above. I downloaded some subs for Geist Von Mae Nak but they are not in sync. I'll have to play with them a little or find another sub file (there are lots of them) that works.

I was thinking that, since it's a pain to find subs for certain movies that work right, or to tweak the time codes for syncing, that those interested could get the HD DVD subs ready to go from a file server like that in a Yahoo user group.

On a side note, my computer moniter is 27", which is decent for watching from my PC, but can I watch it from my main display by connecting an HDMI cable from my moniter to the HDTV?
Old 03-04-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDVD73 View Post
Any subs available for the Russians?
They are available, but I have gotten any to work right yet. Also, the video files for the Russian movies are split up into like 10 different files, so when I click to watch a file I just watch that portion of the movie. I wonder if they can be merged into a single file?
Old 05-15-2012, 04:26 AM
Banned

I have never tried it before, it is useful and interesting, I will learn how to use it.