New HD DVD releases from Green Frog Productions - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-16-2012, 03:23 AM

Default New HD DVD releases from Green Frog Productions

Hi all

If you still collect HD DVDs, this might interest you:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/DVD-HD-DVD-B...p3286.c0.m1539

Green Frog has released 11 (!!) new HD DVDs. They are all real HD DVDs and will only work on HD DVD Players. I didn't count "Rocky Mountain Steam Trains", this was released in 2007 as far as I know.

Anyway, a special thanks to Marco from Germany, he made this possible.

Cheers,

Blerim
Old 02-16-2012, 05:59 AM

That is a good eBay seller but the language regarding HD DVD is going to get some bidders looking for a DVD, I know from experience having sold HD DVDs for a few years. He needs to add a disclaimer, making it clear that HD DVD will not play in DVD players, even mentioning specific HD DVD player models, and get rid of HD-DVD as a product description. People with upscaling DVD players will often think these discs play in their player. Since the HD DVDs are at a premium compared to DVDs, robeio has a good chance of not getting a majority of bad bids but will still get some if he doesn't fix his description.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris gerhard View Post
... get rid of HD-DVD as a product description.
I agree. I get very suspicious when "HD-DVD" (with a hyphen) is used by a seller.

I am also worried when I see that none of the releases have the HD DVD logo on the packaging but many have a DVD logo.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointless View Post
I agree. I get very suspicious when "HD-DVD" (with a hyphen) is used by a seller.

I am also worried when I see that none of the releases have the HD DVD logo on the packaging but many have a DVD logo.
I have several discs with the official HD DVD logo on it but those are "just" DVDs. This doesn't mean anything.

AFAIK this very serious seller released in 2007 "Rocky Mountain Steam Trains", it's on Bruce Ames complete HD DVD list and this one also doesn't show the HD DVD logo. Anyway, Marco (a friend in Germany) was in touch to Mr. Koch from Green Frog Productions and he told him if it would be possible to release all his Blu-ray Train flicks also on HD DVD. Mr. Koch told him it will take some weeks for the authoring/encoding and now here we are, 11 new HD DVDs.

But I agree in one thing, Green Frog Productions would sell way more copies when the ebay auction would be described more clearly.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:11 PM

I am a bit uncertain here-I just read elsewhere else that these are just DVD-R's, not discs that will only work on HD DVD players. Can someone confirm? Thx
Old 02-17-2012, 02:14 PM

Yes this will be DVD-R's but nevertheless HD DVDs. They will only work in HD DVD players (it is possible to create so called 3xDVDs or Mini HD DVDs as you can find it at Wikipedia, for example). I think the most famous 3xDVD disc among collectors is "Zombie Farm". If you think "Zombie Farm" is a genuine HD DVD, the discs from Green Frog Productions are HD DVDs as well.
Wow this was my first post ever, please excuse my rusty english... :-)
Old 02-18-2012, 01:04 AM

Terrible first post. Rocky Mountain Steam Trains is 3 x DVD-R. Zombie Farm is one HD DVD-R.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDVD73 View Post
Terrible first post. Rocky Mountain Steam Trains is 3 x DVD-R. Zombie Farm is one HD DVD-R.
Zombie Farm release on 2007 wasn't HD DVD-R, only DVD-R, same as Rocky Mountain Steam Trains :doh2:

By the way HDDVD73, did you know, your father was also your uncle - think about it :wink:
Old 02-18-2012, 03:57 AM

Noibeli, thanks for the link and info :-)
Old 02-23-2012, 08:59 PM

I just received these today, all 11 of them (except Rocky Mountain Steam Trains, which I already had).

I checked two of them out so far and can confirm that they are DVD-r DL HD DVDs using Mpeg2 codec. So they are legit. The first one (Union Pacific Odyssey volume 1) looked terrible and had constant sound dropouts on the XA2, so I moved it to the BH 200 and that solved the sound problem. However the video looked like crap and it was in 4:3 aspect ratio as well, so I took it out and read it on my computer to make sure it was an HD DVD. It was, so I put it back in the BH 200 and watched some of it. Then I learned that this was old color footage shot over 50 years ago on 16mm! No wonder it looked bad, but it was still watchable.

I put in another one more recent (Deshler Ohio) and it looked very good, no question that I was watching HD, and it was 1.78:1 aspect ratio. If you like watching trains, then you'll like these videos.