Kevin Collins interview at Toshiba press event - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-16-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Kevin Collins interview at Toshiba press event

Kevin put in his two cents recently at the Toshiba press event. Near the end he mentions his opinions on Studios supporting both formats.

http://www.twice.com/article/CA64607...dustryid=23099
Old 07-16-2007, 03:38 PM

Cool, thanks for the link.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:31 PM

Default i am sure it will happen but....

They need to come up with something great for this online connectivity.
The idea of buying a t-shirt related to the movie i am watching is not exciting - am i going to type my credit card number with my remote?

Additional subtitle languages are the best useful idea i have seen so far - make it something you can't already do online without your player.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:43 PM

"In a title soon to be announced, Collins said the connectivity will open the ability to make e-commerce purchases of certain apparel items featured in the film."

"Another good sign for HD DVD, Collins said, is the fact that the DVD Forum's Steering Committee recently agreed to allow Chinese manufacturers to produce HD DVD players supporting discs produced only for that region. The decision, he said, should clear the way for Chinese manufacturers to soon begin production of HD DVD players for global markets, which could lead to significant price reductions on players down the line.

"This all speaks volumes to the longevity of the HD DVD format," Collins surmised."

Last edited by diabolo; 07-16-2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolo View Post
[I]"Another good sign for HD DVD, Collins said, is the fact that the DVD Forum's Steering Committee recently agreed to allow Chinese manufacturers to produce HD DVD players supporting discs produced only for that region.
Curious quote...

Does he mean this is the first instance of HD DVD Region Coding?
Old 07-16-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffyman View Post
Curious quote...

Does he mean this is the first instance of HD DVD Region Coding?
Actually, I believe it is a technical divergence to allow a chinese codec to be used specifically for the Chinese market. So the firmware would be slightly differentm however the vast majority of hardware and software requirements would remain the same.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:06 PM

Default Also

Region coding sucks but...I think the huge significance this has for hd dvd around the world is not only in software - it is in the players. This is significant because now the Chinese have the motivation to mass produce the players (in the billions ), and the players they build will only need slight modifications to work here. The china region coding will help drive player manufacturing prices down.

Besides player costs i do not think it will have an impact in the US except if the studios now have a giant new market of chinese hd dvd owners to sell to....

This interview was good but nothing has increased my confidence more in hd dvd then reading the last few days worth of Amir's posts that blurry has been putting up in the industry insider's thread - pages 15-17 here:
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/show...t=3952&page=15
Old 07-16-2007, 07:20 PM

My idea is that connectivity will be a great tool to sell more movies in a couple of years. I would not be surpise if both formats start doing marketing about the new features pretty soon.
The whole topic has been disscussed in the wrong way just because HD DVD is ahead on this filed, but that does not mean that Blu Ray will also benefit from the new features.

I also think that interactivity and the rest of the new features will be a good way to bring new content to the formats and can be even more effective against Online Piracy than AACS or BD+
Old 07-17-2007, 07:42 AM

I am very curious to see what happens because of the deal with China. I don't think it's something anybody can really predict. It could go in any direction. could be huge, and could be non-impacting.
Next year is going to be very interesting.