Best Buy against HD DVD? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-23-2006, 09:49 AM

Default Best Buy against HD DVD?

Not sure where to post,so feel free to move.

Have you guys had any incidents where BB or any other B&M tries to talk you out of supporting HD?
Two weeks ago I was at a BB in Indy and was checking out the HD movies. A older salesman came up to ask me if I needed help. I told him no, just trying to decide on what HD movie to pick up today. He looked at me with the dumbest look and ask , Why would I ever support HD over BD?
I told him because its cheaper then BD and I like HD. He went on a 5 min speech on how HD was doom to fail and how they get return after return on the Toshiba players.... I finally had to walk away from him.
Yesterday my friend went to BB in our home town to buy me some HD movies for Christmas ( we had our exchange lst night), and he told me that the employee tried telling him that movies that have been on HD for a month or more was only on BD and that hardly no studio's were supporting HD and that HD would be dead in a matter of months.
Why in the world would two different BB and two towns 60mils apart try and tell people HD is going to fail? Do you think BB gets kick backs from BD or something or is it simply opinion of the sale staff?
I'd be interested if anyone has a similar experience.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:33 AM

I havent' had any problems like that at my best buy. If they said anything like that to me I would be like why would I want to pay $1000 for something that doesn't even have $1000 worth of dvd's out for it yet ya know. That's why I got my ps3 so I didn't have to pay that much. I forgot to say as well one day I went into circuit city and asked which dvd looked better aeon flux on blu ray or on hd they were like blu ray. So I asked why they were like I dont know then dont lie to me than ya know. They hire these idiots who know nothing about stereo's or hd content and then they give you a bs answer.
Mischa.

Last edited by mischa316; 12-23-2006 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:33 AM

local BB and HMV here in Montreal both advise not to buy HD-DVD ,I've heard them tell people the PQ is bad and they don't hold enough storage to give high quality like Blue-Ray,the kid at HMV told one lady that she should not have bought HD-DVD comparing it to betamax.Yet my local walmart and Future shop are sold out of all the hot titles and the Blue-ray sections are full.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:44 AM

Unfortunately all businesses tend to go with the more profitable product. Right now (due to higher prices) that's BR.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChaos View Post
Unfortunately all businesses tend to go with the more profitable product. Right now (due to higher prices) that's BR.
Completely false, businesses only mark up products a certain percentage. DVD players all get marked up the same. They may make a few more dollars from Blu-ray only because it has a $1000 price point, but that's about it.

As for the topic at hand, it was recently disscused on another fourm. Unfortunantly, I can't find the link right now, but the consensus was pretty much the same. Either HD-DVD was getting equal treatment (which was more of the case), or Blu-ray was getting pushed a little bit more. I think only about 2 or 3 of around 20 people stated that Blu-ray was getting pushed more than HD-DVD at their local Best Buy, all the rest said it was about equal. Even one poster said that he tried to bait a Best Buy employee to sell him a Blu-ray player, and the employee didn't budge. Another said that a Best Buy employee actually prefered HD-DVD over Blu-ray.

At my local Best Buy, the selection is split right down the middle. Half Blu-ray, half HD-DVD, no one has ever pushed me to go with Blu-ray while I have been browsing the HD-DVD's. Sounds like your experiance, as well as your buddies, was a unique one.

I wouldn't even buy a HD-DVD at Best Buy right now anyways. They're marked at $24.99 at my Best Buy. I would rather save $5 and go to Wal-Mart, Target, Buy.com, or Amazon.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
I wouldn't even buy a HD-DVD at Best Buy right now anyways. They're marked at $24.99 at my Best Buy. I would rather save $5 and go to Wal-Mart, Target, Buy.com, or Amazon.
The only problem for me with that is BB is the only place to buy HD in town.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:41 PM

i went to best buy and i couldnt find a hd dvd player..the person working said that they were in the middle of redoing their hd movie selection.. i had to ask some1 to go and get my hd dvd player
Old 12-23-2006, 02:34 PM

I wonder how much money Sony is stuffing in Best Buys wallet. When I asked about a HD DVD display they had one, but on a small 26" LCD near the back. The Blu-Ray was on a nice 50" plasma in the front.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:56 PM

BB should be sued for false advertising to customers and lying about something they have no control over. ie like saying that HD DVD has only months of life over BD. Someone should take serious actions against them. IMO.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper77 View Post
BB should be sued for false advertising to customers and lying about something they have no control over. ie like saying that HD DVD has only months of life over BD. Someone should take serious actions against them. IMO.
If a member of the Blue Shirt Network of Best Buy said these things to a reporter then "serious action" could be taken. They are official Public Relation spokespersons for the company at large. Your normal employee in the store cannot be interviewed by the media at all and this is why. They seem to love voicing their own opinions and they make no attempt to remain objective or to best represent the views of Best Buy.

I can assure you that Best Buy has nothing against either format and until they officially announce that they are going to stop selling a format in all their stores that is the way it will remain.

Next time a Best Buy sales person says these things to you or other customer ask them point blank (get in their face even!) "Is that your opinion or is that the position of the entire Best Buy company?" If they tell you that it is not their opinion and that it is the official position of Best Buy you can either yell at them for lying to your face or even better tell a manger about it.

Some sales people are not good sales people. I used to work at Best Buy as a Geek Squad Agent and if I was helping a customer buy a computer and they expressed an interest in an AMD system for playing the latest games and encoding videos I would recommend a system with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor and I would give them reasons as to why I would recommend it over the AMD X2 processors. I would not tell them that "AMD suxorz" and if they really wanted an AMD system, I would help them pick out the best AMD system that would fulfill their needs. I would do the same in a situation dealing with ATI and Nvidia graphics cards, or any situation dealing with 2 companies that dominate a product type.

/end rant