HD DVD Box set from China - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-08-2011, 09:05 AM

Default HD DVD Box set from China

Anyone seen this before?

http://www.chinabooks.ch/catalog/pro...8d79nocmresv81

There are also about 10 copies on ebay.com. Buy out now price $ 99. There are some more pics to watch:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260769820005

I don't think it's a real HD DVD. The logo etc. looks original but on this store it's also marked as a DVD.

Anyone knows more?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:25 AM

Blerim, good to see you still on the hunt I had not seen this one before, but I dug at Yesasia, and here's what I found so far.

They have these listed, too with "HD DVD" logo on cover. However, in the details area, it says it is in H-DVD.

http://www.yesasia.com/us/three-king...0-en/info.html

Googling, I found a definition of what H-DVD is (I thought it may be some "remastered" or hi-res DVD format), and found this:

http://www.yesasia.com/us/customer-s...on-answer.html

I *think* these are mislabeled packages (there are some Spanish "DVD"s out there, that have the "HD DVD" logo,but are regular DVD's, too, and I think some other members posted some other examples of 'mislabeled' packages). But if you end up ordering or find other info that shows that these are "real" HD DVD's, please post

If mislabeled, I hope the buyers realize this before spending $99. And for that matter, the seller, too, because he/she will otherwise process refunds...

DB
Old 09-08-2011, 10:17 AM

Hey DB!

Thanks for the researchs you have made, really helpful infos!

Here all H-DVD on yesasia.com

http://www.yesasia.com/us/h-dvd-chin...0-en/list.html

I have not checked all (about 800 items) but I guess the only one who has the HD DVD logo on the cover is Three Kingdoms. Here all four items:

http://www.yesasia.com/us/h-dvd-chin...0-en/list.html

There is available the full boxset and also splitted in three parts. The codec of them is MPEG-2, usually a DVD codec but in the beginning also the Blu-ray favourite

Anyway, I won't buy it on ebay or elsewhere, it may be crap or "just" a DVD.

Does someone has more infos please?
Old 09-08-2011, 12:44 PM

I have asked the seller on ebay if it's a real HD DVD. Here his answer:

Quote:
Hallo lawi2523,

Sales!* That is exactly what I hoped for, BUT only Hong Kong and Singapore people are buying these on another platform I use.* YES GUARANTEED HD DVD set, from the publisher in CHINA!* I don't deal with funny stuff, only originals!* Guaranteed!
I have on hand here in the USA 10 sets, so get the word out.* Buy one, I give it to your $69.99 offer, and if you bring me costumers you can get them for the same price for others.
Sell away!
PETER
Still not sure...

Bruce Ames, can you help?
Old 09-08-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noibeli View Post
I have asked the seller on ebay if it's a real HD DVD. Here his answer:

Still not sure...

Bruce Ames, can you help?
I'm skeptical. I don't think they produced any HD DVDs in China. Most likely a misuse of the logo. I can imagine if they were really HD DVDs then he would get a lot of complaints from people expecting them to play in their DVD or Blu-ray player. If they were really HD DVDs and he knew the format and that they only play in HD DVD players, then he would/should be VERY clear and explicit about that fact as he's basically selling to collectors. Plus like you mention they're encoded in mpeg2.

To be clear, I would write the seller again and ask him if they will play in regular DVD players. If he says yes, then they're DVDs and he has no clue that HD DVD is a separate format that died over 3 years ago.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:25 PM

I wrote to him/her earlier today and referenced this thread, and told him, that as a fellow collector I'd hate people to ask for refunds and or/to complain. I have to agree that these are likely hi-res DVD (H-DVD)-and unfortunately if you buy and then file a claim with Paypal, and the package says "HD DVD", I am not sure if you'll have a leg to stand on for a refund. Of course it's possible that Ebay will try to "verify" what the discs are, before issuing a credit, but that's not certain. In the "details" area of this auction it says "DVD" and if you search for the ISBN (which is listed for the product on Amazon.cn),it shows it is a DVD. Even googling the ISBN only brings up DVD's. However, this is all based on what the specs are on Yesasia/Amazon.cn and not 1st hand knowledge, since I don't own a set. Sometimes specs on the retailer sites are of course only as good as what is fed to them by distributor feeds.

I'll shoot an e-mail to Yesasia itself-they've been "pretty" good about about 100% verifying items for me, over the years. I've also contacted the release company itself, but who knows if they'll provide any info.

Last edited by digitalbabe; 09-08-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:44 PM

FYI, looks like the seller updated the product description to reflect that these are not HD DVD's.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:55 PM

Hi DB!

Thanks for your great work, you've forced him into his knees
Old 09-10-2011, 06:32 PM

Yes great work on your research DB. Thanks also goes out to you Blerim for identifying this item. I hadn't heard of it until I saw your post. Now the proper description is posted.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:12 AM

LOL, no problem-glad I was able to contribute a little bit to the pool of items many others have posted, and either debunked or verified, haha Here's to the ongoing hunt!