Shawshank Redemption HD DVD? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-10-2011, 07:17 PM

Default Shawshank Redemption HD DVD?

I just opened one of my HD DVD'S (Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, lol), and I found the usual enclosures-the anti-copy one, the HD-DVD experience one, and the Warner Bros. advertisement sheet included with all Warner HD DVD's. However, there was something peculiar about this one: look in the right hand corner. See that movie? That's The Shawshank Redemption. It was supposedly due out in Summer 2006, as it says on the paper, but I don't ever remember hearing about the HD DVD version.

After searching Google and finding nothing, I decided to post here. Did this ever actually exist? Or did WB just axe it at the last minute?
Attached Thumbnails
Shawshank Redemption HD DVD?-hd-dvd-001.jpg  
Old 08-10-2011, 10:35 PM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Nope, only the Blu-ray.

"Did this ever actually exist?"
Old 08-11-2011, 12:49 AM

Yeah, "Shawshank" never saw a release on HD DVD.

These early teasers from Paramount and Warner are curious relics, but nothing more. That "Matrix" single disc never came out either; it was delayed for the 2007 Trilogy boxset. IIRC, the back of that insert also promised "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" w/IME, but it didn't come out in the US for a over year.

One of the other Warner inserts promised "The Kubrick Collection" on HD DVD and Blu-ray. That never materialized in the full set either. Instead, we got the separates - including the deluxe Remastered "Full Metal Jacket" that replaced the one promoted in your pic. The "Kubrick Collection" box (w/"A Life in Pictures") only finally made it to high def via blu-ray a few months ago, three years after they initially teased it.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
That "Matrix" single disc never came out either;
Not only did it come out, but I own it.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
No. It didn't. Not officially.

As I said, it was delayed for the 2007 Trilogy boxset.

"The Matrix" was released on May 22, 2007 in two SKUs: as part of "The Ultimate Matrix Collection" and also as part of "The Complete Matrix Collection".

The "Ultimate" release was a five disc set with each film on dual-sided HD-30/DVD-9 Combos and two additional DVDs. The 3-disc "Complete" release simply included the HD-30 side of the film discs from the bigger set.

Now, I'm not saying that "The Matrix" films weren't eventually available as singles, or separates, broken out of the box, through certain Third Party sellers on Amazon (et al) who decided to part out the Elite-cased versions from the "Complete" set. That happened. That's probably how you bought it, right?

But, Warner never officially released "The Matrix", or the sequels, individually in the US on HD DVD. They were only sold in the two boxes via normal channels. And therefore, my original point - that the single disc release of "The Matrix" promised in that insert was delayed for the box and was never legitimately packaged by itself - is technically correct.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
No. It didn't. Not officially. As I said, it was delayed for the 2007 Trilogy boxset.

"The Matrix" was released on May 22, 2007 in two SKUs: as part of "The Ultimate Matrix Collection" and also as part of "The Complete Matrix Collection".

The "Ultimate" release was a five disc set with each film on dual-sided HD-30/DVD-9 Combos and two additional DVDs. The 3-disc "Complete" release simply included the HD-30 side of the film discs from the bigger set.

Now, I'm not saying that "The Matrix" films weren't eventually available as singles, or separates, broken out of the box, through certain Third Party sellers on Amazon (et al) who decided to part out the Elite-cased versions from the "Complete" set. That happened. That's probably how you bought it, right?

But, Warner never officially released "The Matrix", or the sequels, individually in the US on HD DVD. They were only sold in the two boxes via normal channels. And therefore, my original point - that the single disc release of "The Matrix" promised in that insert was delayed for the box and was never legitimately packaged by itself - is technically correct.
You are 100% correct
Old 08-12-2011, 12:50 AM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
We're talking :iconhddvdpngci7: here, and not :iconbluraypng:.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post
We're talking :iconhddvdpngci7: here, and not :iconbluraypng:.
He was referring to The Matrix, not Shawshank.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:21 PM

All I know is that Inet was selling the single disc. To be honest, I can't see any benefit breaking the set and selling the discs individually. No one in their right mind would pass on the first one, but buy 2 or 3, or both. I don't see how splitting the set would benefit the seller in any way.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
He was referring to The Matrix, not Shawshank.
Me too.