Cyberlink PowerDVD 7.3 No-Longer Playing HD-DVD... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-30-2011, 04:37 PM

Default Cyberlink PowerDVD 7.3 No-Longer Playing HD-DVD...

So I am running this version of power DVD (which is supposed to be the final version that supports HD-DVD playback), but whenever I try to play a disc it just closes. It has updated a few times since inserting a select few BD-ROMs (I have a combo drive), but it's still version 7.3 and I still see the HD-DVD logo in the start up screen. Anyone have any idea what's going on and how to fix this problem?
Old 05-30-2011, 08:44 PM

The updated version of 7.3 bricked HD DVD playback. Those that refused to move on to TMT managed to get HD DVD playback work on PowerDVD 8.

http://www.digital-digest.com/articl...DVD_page1.html
Old 05-31-2011, 05:51 AM

I have PowerDVD 7.3 running on Windows 7 SP1 64-bit, pretty sure it has all updates installed - and it plays HD DVD and Blu-ray with no problems.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:37 PM

I used PowerDVD for a long time but eventually gave up due to their almost immediate lack of support for HD-DVD. Not just lack of support, but actively removing the capability.

I moved on to TMT and ended up liking it better anyway. The interface is better, it's integrated nicely in Windows Media Center, and it works better. Also it is licensed for two computers, so I was able to install it legit on both my HTPC and my laptop.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:45 PM

I installed TMT, but it stops playback shortly after I start watching an HD-DVD and says my set-up isn't HTCP compliant (which it obviously is). Perhaps it has something to do with that fact that I am running a cloned display (I have my Radeon 4870 connected to my TV via HDMI), and I used to get the same error when playing Blu-Rays on PowerDVD (and not HD-DVDs) before the last couple of updates. Either way I guess this isn't a big deal anymore because I just bought the entire BSG series on Blu-Ray (I only tried watching an HD-DVD on my computer after all these years because one of the discs in my set was too scratched up to play on my HD-A20 in the living room), but this shit is not cool.