Do HD-DVDs suffer from any form of laser rot, or can they "go bad"? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-05-2011, 02:49 PM

Default Do HD-DVDs suffer from any form of laser rot, or can they "go bad"?

When I say "go bad", perhaps if they're left in a car or fluid is left on them?

Reason I ask is because I went to put on Children of Men in my 360 HD add-on and the image skipped very badly. It was on the universal logo and it was skipping so badly it took about 2 minutes to get through it! I was wanting to see if the movie itself would skip but it never made it to it.

The disc itself looks fine. No dust or scratches. There is, however, a weird swirly like pattern on the disc. Hard to describe. There's also a slight discoloration, or maybe it's just the way the light reflects off the pattern.

It isn't my drive because I've watched two other movies on it. I did buy Children of Men used so that's why I am wondering if the disc is susceptible to imperceptible damage of any kind.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:44 PM

Children of Men was prone to some bad Mfg. Some pressings were very defective upon Launch of the title. There was a discussion about on here at one time, and I remember talking about it on another HD forum.

My COM HD DVD won't play in my 3rd gen players to watch it I have to watch it on my 2nd gen units.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:33 PM

Not sure about laser rot but I do have several HD DVD's that looked perfect when I first bought them and they also played perfectly but now they have a kind of milky "swirl" or smudge on them and they either skip or freeze. It isn't something that can be wiped off, I tried, it is in between the layers. I have noticed it more on the Combo HD DVD's.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:01 PM

As someone already said, there were quite a number of defective "Children Of Men" HD-DVDs in the marketplace, so maybe you've got a bad one? Have you played this disc without problems before?
Old 05-09-2011, 03:39 PM

You probably have a bad disc, especially if it's the combo version.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:38 PM

Strangely enough I tried the next day and it played the entire thing without a single problem. Go figure.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:54 PM

I bought a TON of HD-DVDs when they were being cleared out and have almost every US title, and just got around to watching some of them and discovered about 15 that either won't play at all or glitch and freeze up during the movie. Most are Warner dual-layer discs- I have FOUR players and they crapped out on each one, so don't think my equipment is to blame. I've posted about this on AVSForum and DVDTalk and others have checked their Warner discs and found problems too.

Bad titles I have are:

Blood Diamond (checked FOUR copies of this so far- seems to be the worst-faring title)
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (3 copies)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2 copies, found a replacement that works)
Training Day
Swordfish
Blade Runner (disc 1)
The Wild Bunch (replaced with a copy that just glitches but doesn't freeze, I'll consider that good enough)
Alexander Revisited (BOTH discs! Have a new copy that seems fine but will have to watch all of it)
Superman (2 copies)
Viva Las Vegas (2 copies, neither will load at all)
Purple Rain (2 copies)
Robin Hood (2 copies)
The Fugitive (2 copies)
The Good Shepherd (from Universal- HD side won't play, but replaced it with a good copy)

The HD side of Gods and Generals also displayed an error message on my A-30 and D-3 players after the Warner Home Video opening, but seems to play on my A2. Again, I'll have to watch all of it (it's about 4 hours long!) The A2 seems to be a little better than the 3 series at handling bad discs.

The Warner discs may have been OK when manufactured and now going bad, as I've read a few comments that Blood Diamond played for some people a while ago but now doesn't.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:29 PM

I too have noticed that wierd swirly pattern on my HD DVD's, even on the new ones (when they were actually new), but have never had any issues with any HD DVD's except for 3 discs-

300- bought the combo-disc from Amazon when it was released and the movie kept freezing around the 40 minute mark, so I ordered a replacement which worked just fine. I've watched it a few times since with no hiccups.
Knocked Up- this was actually an issue with memory, so almost not worth mentioning.
Half Baked- this is the only disc in my entire and collection that will never play. It displays an error message as soon as you press play from the title screen.

I remember being a strong supporter, even over alot of times but one thing I have to say makes BD better is the scratch resistant coating. That's no gimmick.
I have 2 kids (2-4 years old) and all of their DVD's have some degree of damage, but all of the 's are flawless in apprearance. That's one thing I could never say about my 's.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:34 AM

I'll have to check my collection. I haven't really noticed this, but I do admit it's been a while since I've viewed many of my HD DVDs.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:04 PM

if your using the toshiba stand alone players make sure you have firmware version 4, as the previous versions have "buffering issues" that can lead to glitchy playback that occurs at random. Even when the discs layers do seperate slightly the latest firmware often does not care i had the same trouble with shrek.