What's the deal with the movie studios when asked about HD-DVD's?? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-06-2010, 07:21 PM

Angry What's the deal with the movie studios when asked about HD-DVD's??

I have spent the last 2 years contacting the major movie studios in my quest to find "lost" HD releases that never made it to the public.It is amazing that they all start out with the generic "the format is dead and there arent any unreleased disks" answer.But I didn't want to except that answer so I kept on them. eventually some of the answers started changing to things like"there were some but we don't really know what happened to them" or "They were destroyed" or "We have them but for legal reasons can not sell them or tell you what they are". WHY ALL THE SECRECY AND THE VAGUE ANSWERS??? Am I missing something or are the people I get to answer me clueless and just making things up? If some do exist why hold on to them?why act like i've stumbled across some top secret project that no one can talk about? why don't they just sell them and make back some of your money?? Anyone have a clue????
Old 12-07-2010, 02:34 AM

I think they want to do both Toshiba and the studies is to believe that the HD DVD never existed.
If you have any movie that I can not see the light of what they have to do is publish or at least upload some video to youtube.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:30 AM

Cuz, I am a long-time HD DVD collector myself, and have heard, seen and read just about everything there is and was to read about the infamous "format war". There were significant sums of money lost and gained during the battle, and as someone that has worked in media distribution for years (completely separate from the studios, their manufacturing, etc), I can tell you that the chain from production to the consumer hands is long and complex, at points. The folks you are contacting are likely not decision makers that had anything to do with final decisions (though some of smaller companies, may be), or that can tell you where product is today. Most of the remaining domestic HD DVD's were purchased by liquidators, and are now being sold for pennies on the dollar. Usually third party companies bid in auctions on any studio surplus, but what they do with that product after the fact is not traceable by studios, nor do they care to, after the product is gone. The exception to this is when there are sales restrictions, where product within a certain distribution channel ("end of life", remainders, closeout, etc, with marked out UPC's, etc), cannot reenter the mainstream retail market (your typical brick and mortar store).

Many times, legal contracts and funding tied up with certain material is used to determine if it makes sense to resell material or destroy it. Some contracts are binding in that certain material/brands, etc cannot be released into the market place again, after a new standard, format, etc are adopted. When those contracts are violated there can be dire consequences (this happens occasionally with broken street dates, for major titles, for all media). This is not to say items don't leak out (as has been shown via Ebay, etc etc), but you likely will not get any concrete answers, as resources are simply not being used to manage, discuss a discontinued format. For collectors, this is frustrating, but it's a reality, when it comes to assessing what is feasible and profitable, for any member of the distribution chain. Time to sell discs one at a time, or even in lots only makes sense when there is some gain for the studios. After that, it's hit or miss.

It's been years since HD DVD's have been pressed and the leftover media has changed hands many times. Many websites still are removing their catalog artifacts for titles that don't exist, but at some point were supposed to, and had catalog data stream over from third party companies that supply this information via leased or purchased databases.

There are rumored and confirmed titles, and 100's of people have contacted 100's of sources to find information and some titles pop up, and most are confirmed never to have been released.

Since it's been years, fact, myth and rumor are blending together, and if you are coming in at the tail end of it all, witha second round (seems you've been doing this for a few years, like many of us) then it will be even more challenging to determine what, who, where information still exists.

I'd say, set up alerts on Ebay, and visit the major forums like like this one (including a great thread with a list of HD DVD kept by bruceames), subscribe to threads and ask questions. Keep contacting companies, if you wish to research information, but most of the time, for the reasons above, there will likely be more questions than answers with this discontinued product.

Good luck!
DB

Last edited by digitalbabe; 12-07-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:39 PM

The only HD DVD I want is that Check Disc of Charlie Wilson's War. that is one of my favorite Tom Hanks and Phil Seymour Hoffamn flicks and I would be willing to pay top dollar for that CHECK DISC Sample.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:10 PM

The studios, manufacturers and even Software programers all want to act like HDDVD (OR BETAMAX PART 2) Never existed. Its like why did cyberlink remove the HDDVD codec from there software its like "I purchased the player, you gave me the software i bought the films, dont take away functionallity in an update". Thank god for quick time and third party codec developers.