Star Trek Season 1 Question - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-30-2010, 02:11 PM

Star Trek Season 1 Question

First off I am sure some of you will just say buy it on blu ray. I just do not want to. i guess I just want to buy it on hd-dvd. Anyways my question is this
when the season came out the box said hd-dvd/dvd combo. now all you see is DVD on the cover. My question is did they jusy take off the HD-DVD and it is still the combo disc? or is it a full dvd with disc art? I have seen season 1 cheap but again it says DVD on the cover. I do not want to pay my money and open up the box and see that its only dvds.
i have read some reviews on amazon the (new reviews) and from what i could tell that yes it is still the combo format its just not listed. I just want to know before hand thats all. if anyone can help me that would be great!
Old 09-30-2010, 02:15 PM

If it says only DVD on the cover, it is the new press of non-combo discs! If you see the DVD of the remastered seasons 2 & 3, you'll notice that they are on combo type discs, but only have the DVD included. It's the same way with the new run of season 1. You'll need to track down a box that actually states that they have the HD DVD / DVD combo disc.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeags View Post
If it says only DVD on the cover, it is the new press of non-combo discs! If you see the DVD of the remastered seasons 2 & 3, you'll notice that they are on combo type discs, but only have the DVD included. It's the same way with the new run of season 1. You'll need to track down a box that actually states that they have the HD DVD / DVD combo disc.
I got my Season 1 on HD-DVD. Remember, the HD-DVD episodes do NOT include the original versions, only the restored ones. I also don't think the HD-DVDs include HD Audio. Been a while since I watched, so could be wrong.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Orig...7771567&sr=8-2

You can get it used for about $25. But you can get the Blu-Ray used for not much more.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravis778 View Post
I got my Season 1 on HD-DVD. Remember, the HD-DVD episodes do NOT include the original versions, only the restored ones. I also don't think the HD-DVDs include HD Audio. Been a while since I watched, so could be wrong.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Orig...7771567&sr=8-2

You can get it used for about $25. But you can get the Blu-Ray used for not much more.
The HD DVD has True HD 5.1 for an audio option. But yes, it only has the remastered visual effects, not the remastered and original like the Blu-ray. Not a big deal to me, but is to some.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeags View Post
The HD DVD has True HD 5.1 for an audio option. But yes, it only has the remastered visual effects, not the remastered and original like the Blu-ray. Not a big deal to me, but is to some.
I have Season 1 on HD-DVD, and Seasons 2 & 3 on blu-ray.
The remastered CGI scenes are excellent and far superior to the old stuff, so I have no urge to watch the old CGI scenes in any of the seasons on either format.