'Superman II: Donner Cut' - pre-release buzz - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: How excited are you about this disc release?
I just peed myself (very excited) 7 36.84%
Excited, but not incontinent 5 26.32%
Will wait to read reviews 5 26.32%
Not excited at all 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2006, 07:23 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'Superman II: Donner Cut' - pre-release buzz

This thread is for discussion of the November 28 release of 'Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut' on HD DVD.

Disc Details:
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/supermanii.html

News Story:
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/...s_Revealed/296
Old 10-15-2006, 02:24 PM

I grew up watching this and can't wait to have it in HD!
Old 10-18-2006, 08:17 PM

I'm a little disappointed that Warner's only releasing three of the Superman movies, I, II (the Donner cut) and Superman Returns on HD-DVD. I would have like to have seen all of the Superman films on HD-DVD, similar to what Paramount is doing with Mission Impossible.

Still, I guess if you're going to drop two Superman movies, I guess III and IV art the ones to drop since they aren't very good.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
I'm a little disappointed that Warner's only releasing three of the Superman movies, I, II (the Donner cut) and Superman Returns on HD-DVD. I would have like to have seen all of the Superman films on HD-DVD, similar to what Paramount is doing with Mission Impossible.
I think this falls in line with Warner's strategy for the Superman franchise. It is my understanding that they decided to proceed as if Superman III and IV never happened and Superman Returns considered as a sequel to Superman II.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:03 PM

I've been wanting to see the lost Donner footage since I heard what went down with that movie. And to see it in HD is such a great bonus.

The existing DVD is quite poor, so this will be great.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:57 PM

What will be added to this movie? How many minutes? Any major scenes? Any info please let us know. Zod would like to know.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:14 PM

Amazon.com
The Richard Donner cut of Superman II is an infamous legend come to life. Director Donner shot most of the sequel during and directly after his first blockbuster film, but somewhere along the line, the producers and studio lost confidence and brought in Richard Lester (The Three Musketeers) to rework the film, and receive sole credit. For years fans speculated on how different the final film was from Donner's original until an underground copy appeared showing a fully formed feature. In an unprecedented move, Warner Brothers officially embraces this alternate version. For those who have not been part of the rumor mill, know that Donner shot all the footage with splendid bad guys Lex Luthor (Gene Hackman) and General Zod (Terence Stamp); Lester just reedited the footage. You can find blow-by-blow descriptions of what is new/changed elsewhere, but most of the changes deal with Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder as the comic-book couple. Donner's cut provides alternate scenes for how Lois tests her hunch that Clark is Superman, the moment he reveals his identity, and how Lois unlearns that truth. Thing is, Lester's reshots are stronger, adding weight to the romance between the two, lifting the picture's stature. Lester also added the dandy Eiffel Tower opening sequence and saves a huge sense of déjà vu in the finale (making it simpler and more fun). Donner's chief additions are in the Fortress of Solitude, where Marlon Brando returns to teach (Susannah York, as Superman's mom, appears in the Lester cut). There is a great lesson in editing--Lester's less is better than Donner's more--when you compare how Kent turns back into Superman after losing his powers. The Donner cut is completely formed but does use some unfinished shots and effects. The history of cinema has many of these stories of movies reshot, hijacked, and changed from the original version, but here the underdog wins and Donner gets his chance to change history, even adding a note in the end credits about the use of fur and smoking as regrettable choices of the time. --Doug Thomas
Old 11-08-2006, 03:29 AM
Super Moderator

Hmmm.. from the sound of that description the reviewer seemed to prefer the Lester original. Think I'll wait for some reviews on this one!
Old 11-08-2006, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejstar View Post
Hmmm.. from the sound of that description the reviewer seemed to prefer the Lester original. Think I'll wait for some reviews on this one!
I've seen a couple of reviews that say the same thing.

Think about it - this is a film where they're using 80% of the 80% they shot -that doesn't add up to 100% movie!

Personally I thought the Lester cut was utter pants - I dread to think what Superman III and IV were like if this really is considered "one of the best".
Old 11-08-2006, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejstar View Post

Me too. I was a kid when I first saw Superman II, I have not seen it in it's entirety as an adult. But I do have fond memories of this movie as a kid, but I have gone back and seen ,movies I like d as a kid and thought "MAN WHAT WAS I THINKING". So I too will wait for reviews.