HD DVD in Canada - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-16-2010, 04:12 PM

Default HD DVD in Canada

I've recently been feeling like buying some bargain HD DVDs and 360 player and I was wondering if anyone knows where to buy some in Toronto. I have tried craigslist and I saw them at Loblaws a couple of months ago but nothing since. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:20 PM

HD DVDs do not work in Canada, something about them is incompatible with public healthcare if I remember correctly.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:21 PM

In all seriousness, check the HD DVD exchange forum, several other members reside up north.

Also, inetvideo.com which often gouges us (US) on shipping is in Canada and might be a resource.....
Old 06-16-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxers View Post
I've recently been feeling like buying some bargain HD DVDs and 360 player and I was wondering if anyone knows where to buy some in Toronto. I have tried craigslist and I saw them at Loblaws a couple of months ago but nothing since. Any ideas? Thanks.
Wow! You are like 2 years late to the party!

Now being serious, you can now walk in out of nowhere and still pick up 100 or so odd titles from www.inetvideo.ca for like $ 2 to $ 5 each !!

Their inventory has now gotten very lean, but I can't think of ANY other reliable Canadian source that still has stock of any kind.

PLUS, Your FIRST order over $20 with them will get you FREE SHIPPING.
((Even so, they now have a FLAT RATE for Canadian customers... Only 4.95 per entire order))
Old 06-16-2010, 05:46 PM

Thanks for the info CanadaPhil, I am definitly late to the party. I don't why but I suddenly realized that I own 30 perfectly good HD movies that were not being watched simply because of the dead format. Then I thought maybe I can get some more movies at some low prices.

I am guessing places like HMV and the like do not really sell them anymore. Have you seen them at any used stores?
Old 06-16-2010, 08:33 PM

I for one haven't seen them at any store in the Hamilton area in a long time. HMV was the last one to stock them, but I haven't looked in a year. Zellers and some other stores are also long gone. I have seen some in the swap store places, but they are quite outrageously priced - I guess you could check those stores and make an offer, but that's the only type of place I've seen them.

Honestly, ebay and inetvideo are the best places to look right now. If we were in the US, amazon.com has some decent prices also, but that's about it for locations. Besides craigslist, be sure to check kijiji - I have seen more movement on that site than on craigslist. RedFlagDeals forums also had some Toronto listings, but that's been a while since some have shown up. If you put up a wanted list, I bet you could get some hits though - I think most people have given up offering their discs since you can't get much money for them. And of course you can try here, but there was a lot more local movement on RFD to save on postage fees.

Quote:
Thanks for the info CanadaPhil, I am definitly late to the party. I don't why but I suddenly realized that I own 30 perfectly good HD movies that were not being watched simply because of the dead format. Then I thought maybe I can get some more movies at some low prices.

I am guessing places like HMV and the like do not really sell them anymore. Have you seen them at any used stores?
Old 06-17-2010, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Hey I got a few HD-DVDs that I don't watch anymore, PM me if you're interest in buying them from me. I have about maybe 20 titles or so.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:38 PM

I have seen a couple in the dump bins at SuperStore but that it. inetvideo is pretty much the only place left.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:59 PM

My local Zellers has been trying to sell the Dragon's Lair HD-DVD for $40 for over a year now (supposed to be rare I think)...other than that, nothing lately.

Definitely check out the HD-DVD Trading Forum here though...I even have a bunch listed there that I'd love to sell.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:

I have the following duplicates (still new/sealed), that I would be willing to sell you for $ 6 each if you need any of them.

- Swordfish.............................- Unforgiven
- Skeleton Key.........................- The Road Warrior
- Blood Diamond.......................- Scooby Doo
- Adventures of Robin Hood........- Ocean's Thirteen (Combo Disc)

I had given up trying to sell or trade these since its not even worth the time and effort to ship them to the US given what people want to pay for them and that shipping costs alone with a bubble mailer ends up around $ 4 each just to get them south of the border!!