Flags Of Our Fathers on HD-DVD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-31-2010, 05:50 PM

Default Flags Of Our Fathers on HD-DVD

review here: http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/599/f...urfathers.html

For some reason the link at the bottom of the review connects to a discussion not related to this title.

Memorial Day - time for a terrific WWII historical drama. This movie is superb, and the HD-DVD does it justice from every perspective wonderfully including PQ, AQ (even though it is not a lossless track) and extras. The reviewer recommended this title for good reason - it is excellent!
Old 05-31-2010, 06:33 PM

Thanks for the Memorial Day movie idea, an ideal candidate for me since I haven't yet watched it. It's been on my shelf waiting for 3 years now.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Thanks for the Memorial Day movie idea, an ideal candidate for me since I haven't yet watched it. It's been on my shelf waiting for 3 years now.
Be sure to drag out your high def "Letters from Iwo Jima" as a follow-up to "Flags of our Fathers" - a really well made opposite side perspective of the battle for the island of Iwo Jima in WWII.

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/1071/...wojima_nc.html
Old 06-02-2010, 10:55 AM

Does anyone know why "Flags" was a Paramount release and "Letters" was a Warner title? It seems most of Eastwood's films are Warner and "Letters" and "Flags" being almost like sequels would be released by the same studio. This is interesting to me, but during the format war this Paramount/Warner conundrum didn't matter as they were both available in either format.

Last edited by ericpizzapie; 06-02-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:54 PM

I hope someone can confirm or deny, but what I remember reading is that Warner and Paramount were behind both in terms of financing, and the agreement was for Paramount to get distribution rights for one, while Warner got it for the other. Don't have a link or anything to confirm this though...

Otherwise, this definitely was a good flick, and watched it twice recently, by myself and with my parents. We have a bit of native blood on my mom's side, and it is always interesting for me to see that perspective in history, even if quite often it pisses me off...