HD-DVD English/SDH subtitles issue - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-27-2010, 04:45 AM

Default HD-DVD English/SDH subtitles issue

On some of HD-DVDs movies, every once in awhile, the English subtitles appear on the screen twice. First one flash faster than you blink your eyes and then second one appear at normal pace.

It is distracting to me because it cause me to lose focus for a second and trying to figure out if I miss something. The offending subtitles looks like it is in hurry to get going so the next sentence can appear and then slow down after realizing it doesn't need to be in hurry so it come back.

Or the first sentence does flash too fast and then the next sentence appears at normal pace.

Or second sentence appear before the first sentence for a second, then change to the first sentence and back to second sentence.

The movies with this issue are Backdraft, The Mummy and The Thing.

Anyone else have the same problem and can it be fixed? Like updating the player that I have been heard about?

I don't want to give up my HD-DVDs collection or stop buying them but I can enjoy the movies with this kind of distracting.

Hope I explained it clearly. If not, let me know.

Thank you in advance.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:14 PM

Default HD-DVD English/SDH subtitles issue

Seriously?? No responds?? C'mon, I can't be the only one who is having this problem.

For those who owns Backdraft, Happy Gilmore, The Mummy, and The Thing hd-dvds. Can you please put it in the player, turn on the subtitle, watch how it appear on the screen, and let me know how it goes. Districting isn't it.

I noticed I made a mistake in my post above. I said I can watch it, I meant to say can't. As in "I can't watch it with those districtions.

Ignore my grammar and spelling errors, English wasn't my first language, but please help out your fellow HD-DVD brother? Please?

Thank you.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:13 PM

I tried The Thing and Backdraft but didn't notice any flickering in the English subtitles. Perhaps it's your player or that my eyes aren't as sensitive as yours, I don't know. If you can, try the movies in another player.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:17 PM

Tried out The Thing and Backdraft using an HD-A35 and an HD-A30 ... no issues. Could be your discs.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:39 AM

Flickering, that's a new word for me. This is exactly what I'm trying to describe about this issue. I'll try to play the discs in another player. Unfortunately, I only have one player and I am probably the only one in my town who have a HD-DVD player.

I just watch Full Metal Jacket (the deluxe edition) and the subtitles disappeared while a character is STILL talking. So it's pretty annoying.

I really hope it's the player. Would update the player help? In fact, is it possible to update the player since HD-DVDs are no longer around?

Thank you very much, bruceames and DjfunkmasterG for responding to my post when no one else would do it. Much appreciated.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:46 PM

New to the forum . I have a problem with BBCA from Netflix where the SDH is indicated but no captions of any kind show up when I play the disc on my TV. I've verified settings for the cc and all others play correctly, however, I never can find any "control setup" on the disc to do more than select the SDH and so no help in enjoying the shows.