Your Top 3 HD DVD 'only' movies you're waiting for on Blu? - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-20-2010, 01:55 AM

Off the top of my head...

#1. Smallville Season Five (and maybe release the first four for the first time on Blu-Ray?).
#2. If Paramount offered a Red2Blu, then the final two Paramount titles (Anchorman and Stardust)
#3. If the WB Red2Blu was still going on, then I would've loved to get any of their remaining classics like Forbidden Planet, Grand Prix, etc. - preferably as a Digibook.

I will say however, while Forbidden Planet did come in a collector's set already on HD DVD - I wouldn't mind it getting the Wizard of Oz/Gone with the Wind treatment on Blu-Ray. Especially if they unearth another disc worth of bonus content, or create new bonus content, or create a new 8K master, etc.

There is one user, named Maxx I believe, who would love for Forbidden Planet to be released on Blu-Ray I'm sure! They've always had the most amusing signature displaying their hundreds of Blu-Rays owned and their one remaining HD DVD standout of Forbidden Planet. I kind of want it to remain exclusive just for that alone - sorry Maxx!
Old 01-20-2010, 04:39 AM

I just checked and it appears that Red2Blu @ Warner is still underway...

www.red2blu.com
Old 01-20-2010, 02:40 PM

It is kinda nice knowing we have movies that those with only Blu can't enjoy. Especially the good ones. I have friends who are still upset that they can't watch Breakfast club in HD. And yes, I rub it in.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jra166 View Post
It is kinda nice knowing we have movies that those with only Blu can't enjoy. Especially the good ones. I have friends who are still upset that they can't watch Breakfast club in HD. And yes, I rub it in.
Im with you on this one, only I have friends that get mad about Mallrats and Frighteners
Old 01-20-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
I just checked and it appears that Red2Blu @ Warner is still underway...

www.red2blu.com
The website is still up, but according to the details, the program has expired and all covers have to be received by tomorrow (January 21, 2010):

Quote:
The Program may be terminated by Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Inc.
at any time and if not terminated by December 31, 2009, the Program shall
be deemed to expire on December 31, 2009. If the Program is terminated, all
exchange requests made prior to the termination date will be honored; provided
that the corresponding artwork packaging sleeves are received no later than three
(3) weeks following the termination of the Program. If the Program is not
terminated and expires on December 31, 2009, all exchange requests made prior
to December 31, 2009 will be honored; provided that the corresponding artwork
packaging sleeves are received by January 21, 2010.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:04 AM

I guess it would be Mutiny on the Bounty, Grand Prix and Forbidden Planet. However, I doubt I'd really upgrade to Blu unless they do another Red2Blu thing. I have a backup HD DVD player, so I'm not worried about being able to play these titles in HD.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:30 AM

My personal preference would be that all current exclusive HD DVD titles remain that way. The reason is that would make my HD DVD players worth something over the long run and I could sell them. HD DVD player prices are so low now, I am just going to hold on to them. Almost nobody believes the current exclusives will remain exclusive long so almost nobody is interested in HD DVD enough to buy a player. If all current exclusives get released on Blu-ray, that will drive HD DVD player prices even lower. If rights to a given exclusive get tied up in litigation or a rights owner believes a Blu-ray release won't be a money maker, the title may remain exclusive to HD DVD for a long period.

Chris
Old 02-02-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMA View Post
hd dvd=100% exact same quality as blu-ray so i keep all of my hd dvds and don't waste money on the blu-rays, no matter how nice i want my collection to look.
Exactly !!
Old 02-02-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
1. Equilibrium

Yes, I know there are imports, but the Japanese one is super-expensive and doesn't have english menus. The Canadian one isn't in the proper aspect ratio.

Even without a BD version in sight, I still have my HD-DVD Equilibrium up for sale.
That is about the only one that I can think of that I would like to have. If I already have it on , then I doubt I will get it on . The only exception I have made so far is that sweet looking 300 digibook, although it was already out on .
Old 02-02-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMA View Post
hd dvd=100% exact same quality as blu-ray so i keep all of my hd dvds and don't waste money on the blu-rays, no matter how nice i want my collection to look.
Well, I wouldn't say "100% exact same quality" for most HD DVDs, but at these current insane low prices, I'm buying HD DVDs again. When I read our review for Pride & Prejudice, I checked Amazon - $17.95 for the blu-ray. I got the HD DVD for under $6 shipped free with Prime. Same PQ, the BD has lossless DTS MA and the HD DVD DD+, but for a dialogue driven movie like this, it's not worth $12 more.

For the Matrix trilogy, it is 100% exact same quality, so sticking with my HD DVDs. I considered the Bourne trilogy at the low UK price, but the movies are just OK for me, so not worth it to upgrade.