'The Wicker Man' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John32 View Post
Well, it was a well-written review, but sorry I disagree yet again with Mr. Bracke's horror film reviews. I am a HUGE fan of the original '73 classic, but call me crazy (and no doubt you may) but, I liked this movie! I didn't this it was crappy, but I can certainly see if you have no connection with the original and absolutely no real yearning or understanding of a 'Wicker Man' flick then you'll think it is utterly a stupid film.
Yeah, my friend and I felt we wasted our money in the theatre big time. It was too bad, I liked the beginning of the movie when he was "seeing" things.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-01-2007, 10:32 PM
PeterB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Sorry for the editor's note, it should have read that 'Wicker Man' is NOT a combo. The database specs are correct. It was originally announced as a combo, but for whatever reason Warner went with a straight HD-30 release.

As for the movie itself, I don't know -- as a horror fan I think I've just had my fill of remakes. It's hard to get one's enthusiasm up. I don't mind a few, but it seems lately there is absolutely nothing original coming out. Looks like that might change, though, with some interesting horror releases ('The Messengers,' etc .) coming in the months ahead. I'll be crossing my fingers...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-02-2007, 03:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 241
Default

the messengers does look decent. same guys who made the eye....

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 241
Default

edit: just read the reviews for The Messengers...
sigh...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-03-2007, 11:51 AM
John32's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
Sorry for the editor's note, it should have read that 'Wicker Man' is NOT a combo. The database specs are correct. It was originally announced as a combo, but for whatever reason Warner went with a straight HD-30 release.

As for the movie itself, I don't know -- as a horror fan I think I've just had my fill of remakes. It's hard to get one's enthusiasm up. I don't mind a few, but it seems lately there is absolutely nothing original coming out. Looks like that might change, though, with some interesting horror releases ('The Messengers,' etc .) coming in the months ahead. I'll be crossing my fingers...
I'm glad it isn't a combo disc I guess they figured (WB) Well, I know a reason that I didn't pick the standard release up is because I waited for the HD release.

Peter, The Descent.... Wolf Creek (Well, I know your thoughts on the latter ) but, I don't know I think that these two, while not the end-all be-all of horror are pretty good horror releases. Sure, there's an 'Omen 666' remake (crap) for every decent or semi-decent one, but I don't know as a horror fan I'll see most of it, support it, if it's not good I'll say so, but I think that some fans expect another 'American Werewolf,..." or "The Shining" or " The Excorcist" with every horror release and the fact is that many or most horror excursions are entertaining and not classic status and that's more or less how it's always been...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-03-2007, 04:12 PM
eastx's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,750
Default

I think there are far few classic horror movies (i. e. horror movies that are also good movies) these days than in the past.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Blurry's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
I think there are far few classic horror movies (i. e. horror movies that are also good movies) these days than in the past.
A couple that I liked from recent release were the "The Grudge" and "The Skeleton Key", although somewhat older, "The Others" was also pretty good.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed View Post
Peter's review of 'The Wicker Man' on HD DVD is up. He found the movie itself to be an unintentional campfest and a total misfire for noted writer/director Neil LaBute. As an HD DVD release, however, this one boasts decent enough audio/video, earning 4 stars (out of five) in both categories. Bonus for HD DVD fans: the HD DVD includes a Dolby TrueHD track, while the concurrently released Blu-ray does not.

Full review here:
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/wickerman2006.html
Saw this movie recently on DirecTV HD. It sucked big hairy ones!!! Boring as hell. Is the writer of this film gay? He really hates women. The women were insane, dishonest, and psychopathic.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-12-2008, 02:52 PM
MasterChief3624's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 426
Default

God, this movie was so bad, it's not even funny...

Wait...yes it is. If it weren't funny, then I wouldn't have been laughing uncontrollably in the theater.

Haha, lol.

Such an abysmal film....but I do love the last 20 minutes for all their campy and idiotic glory

Last edited by MasterChief3624; 01-12-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-12-2008, 04:40 PM
Josh Z's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhapha1 View Post
Is the writer of this film gay? He really hates women. The women were insane, dishonest, and psychopathic.
You don't have to be gay to be misogynist. In fact, most misogynists aren't gay. They're just stupid assholes.

I don't believe that Neil LaBute is actually misogynist. The theme of men abusing women is one that he's been working through in most of his movies, generally as a commentary against that type of behavior. I think that something just went horribly wrong with this particular movie, and whatever his original intentions may have been, they didn't make it to the screen.
__________________
Josh Z
Former Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest
My opinions are strictly my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Wicker Man (1973) hits Blu-ray The Limey Blu-ray Imports Subforum 35 10-07-2013 05:58 AM
'The Wicker Tree' - High-Def Digest Review Attebery Blu-ray Software General Discussion 17 10-25-2012 11:11 PM
'The Wicker Man' - High-Def Digest Review jed Blu-ray Software General Discussion 8 11-14-2010 10:47 PM
'Wicker Man' -- pre-release buzz PeterB Blu-ray Software General Discussion 2 01-15-2007 10:56 PM
'Wicker Man' -- pre-release buzz PeterB HD DVD Software General Discussion 4 01-06-2007 06:30 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off